Create User button is missed in Jira cloud

Yuval Shapira August 16, 2022

Hey all,

1. I'm looking for a way to create a user in Jira cloud.
In the ducmantion it's said there is a "Create User" button but the only button that I see is  "Invite User".

2. I try to change the the user full name that I have invited by the mail,  but there is no effect.
How I can change a user name in Jira cloud?

Thanks ,

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I suspect you might be reading docs for the Server/DC Jira installs, which can use an internal directory for users.  Cloud does not use the internal directory for users - you add them via Atlassian Access, or by adding an Atlassian account (which can be linked to Google accounts).  

Atlassian accounts exist independently of the Cloud system, hence you have to invite them, or add existing ones.

Atlassian accounts belong to the individuals who have them, unless your organisation has claimed them.  You can't change an account that belongs to an individual, they own it, not you.  If you're working with a claimed domain, then your organisation admin can amend the accounts.

A simple example; I have two I use a lot:

• My own personal one, which has access to dozens of Cloud systems   None of the admins of those systems can change anything on my personal account, they can only change it's access to their systems.
  • I have another for work with Adaptavist.  This probably has (or at least has had) access to hundreds of Cloud systems.  It belongs to Adaptavist, so our admins can amend that account.  But they can't amend the access it has to other people's systems.
Yuval Shapira August 18, 2022

Hey @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- thank you so much for your detailed answer.

1. I wish to create a playground (test environment) in which I can add dummy users to different projects and simulate them as real users. This is the reason that I look for a way to create users with details that I determine.

2. Can you elaborate what do you mean when you say that in your personal account you have access to dozens of cloud systems?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2022

That makes sense, but I think you have to stop thinking in "traditional" user access terms.  The dying model is "people have a unique identifier for this system, with a password, and it is only used here".  The world has moved to "have an account which then gets access to <many places>"

This makes "dummy users" a lot more difficult, but actual real-life access a lot easier.

> when you say that in your personal account you have access to dozens of cloud systems?

I don't know how to explain that better, but I will try a different view. 

I have an Atlassian account with <one of my email addresses> that can post on Community, post on the Developer site, comment on a couple of Atlassian pages, and and and.  It has access to about 12 Atlassian Cloud sites.

I have an Atlassian account with my Adaptatvist address.  It can post on Community, post on the Developer site, comment on a couple of Atlassian pages, and and and.  It has access to about 150 Atlassian Cloud sites.

Yuval Shapira August 24, 2022

Hey @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  you make it really clear.

Thanks a lot or your answer.

0 votes
Yuval Shapira August 18, 2022

Hey @Ismael Jimoh
I really appreciate your response.

So if I want to add a dummy user I must to use a real e-mail to invite him, right?

0 votes
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2022

Hi @Yuval Shapira 

I believe that in Cloud, the only option available now is to invite users. You cannot directly just create users.

As for your second question, similar to the above, you cannot change a user's name in Cloud. Only the user him/herself can make this change.

For this do the following:

1. Go to the user's account
  2. Click on suggest changes
  3. Type in the change you want.
  4. Atlassian would send out an email to the user which they can approve or refuse.

So as you can see from the above, the users have to make changes to their information themselves.

I hope this helps.
Regards.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events