Create Jira System Administrator user in database with query

Muraleetharan Ramaraj March 1, 2021

Can you please let me know the steps to create Jira System Administrator user in database with query? I am unable to login with recovery_admin user.

2 answers

0 votes

Hi Kian,

Thanks for your Email!

I tried the below steps to login with recovery_admin with Jira123 as password in Jira, but login failed with username and password is not correct.

1. Stop Jira with stop-jira.sh

2. Edit JVM_SUPPORT_RECOMMENDED_ARGS="-Datlassian.recovery.password=Jira123"

3. Start Jira with start-jira.sh

Can you please help?

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2021

@Muraleetharan Ramaraj

I'm not sure. That appears to be the correct method for signing in with the recovery admin user. Is there anything in the logs?

Thanks,

Kian

Hi Kian,

PFB the logs. Can you please help me? Can we connect in WebEx/Teams meeting to check this issue?

2021-03-01 19:38:56,067 ajp-nio-8009-exec-7 anonymous 1178x125x1 um8mq0 88.217.131.124 /rest/gadget/1.0/login The user 'recovery_admin' has FAILED authentication. Failure count equals 14

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2021

@Muraleetharan Ramaraj

I'm sorry, I cannot connect on WebEx/teams. I'm really not sure what is going on at this point.

Hi Kian,

Do you have any experts who can help me?

Muraleetharan Ramaraj March 2, 2021

Hi Kian,

I am also using CROWD and Confluence along with JIRA. Is that the reason recovery_admin is not working? Please help me?

Muraleetharan Ramaraj March 3, 2021

Hi Kian,

I have resolved the issue by disabling the crowd temporary. 

Thanks for your support!

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2021

I'm glad you were able to figure it out! I wondered if something like that could be in play. Did you have SSO enabled initially?

Thanks,

Kian

0 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2021

@Muraleetharan Ramaraj

Typically you don't want to create a user in the DB if you can help it. In fact, for all Jira versions higher than 7.0, Atlassian recommends using the recovery_admin user method. If you haven't already reviewed the recovery admin documentation, I'd take a look at the document here.

They do have instructions for restoring rights for creating administration user for older versions, but I haven't used these in a long time, and I couldn't tell you if they work on the later versions of Jira.

As always, before making any database changes, make sure that your instance is down, and you've taken a backup of the database to be able to revert any changes you make.

Thanks!

Kian

Suggest an answer