Create JIRA Issue via REST API and Powershell

Paul Stack October 30, 2012

I have been trying to interact with the JIRA REST API (version = 5.2-m06-4)

I have code that looks as follows:

function ConvertTo-Base64($string) {
   $bytes  = [System.Text.Encoding]::UTF8.GetBytes($string);
   $encoded = [System.Convert]::ToBase64String($bytes); 

return $encoded;
}
$reqBody = [System.Text.Encoding]::UTF8.GetBytes($data)

try{

$authenticationDetails = ConvertTo-Base64 '$username:$password'
                Write-Host('Opening a connection to {0}' -f $url)

$req = [System.Net.WebRequest]::Create($Url)
                $req.Headers.Add("AUTHORIZATION", $headerValue);
                $req.Method = "POST"
                $req.ContentType = "application/json"          
                $req.Timeout = $Timeout.TotalMilliseconds

$req.Credentials = New-Object System.Net.NetworkCredential -ArgumentList $username, $password 
                $req.PreAuthenticate = $true

$req.ContentLength = $reqBody.Length   
                $reqStream = $req.GetRequestStream()            
                $reqStream.Write($reqBody, 0, $reqBody.Length)
                $reqStream.Close()

Write-Host($data)

$resp = $req.GetResponse()
                Write-Verbose $resp
                Write-Output $resp.StatusCode
        }
        catch [System.Net.WebException]{
                if ($_.Exception -ne $null -and $_.Exception.Response -ne $null) {
                        $errorResult = $_.Exception.Response.GetResponseStream()
                        $errorText = (New-Object System.IO.StreamReader($errorResult)).ReadToEnd()
                        Write-Warning "The remote server response: $errorText"
                        Write-Output $_.Exception.Response.StatusCode
                        Write-Host $_
                } else {
                        throw $_
                }
        }

The code is passed JSON as follows:

$jsonString = '{"fields": {"project":{ "key": "CCB"},"components": "' + $COMPONENT + '"},"customfield_11502" : "' + $DEPLOYMENT_DATE + '","Summary": "' + $description + '","issuetype": {"name": "Configuration Change"}}}'

The issue I am having is that when I try and POST data in this way, I am told that summary, customfield_11502 and components are not part of the Screen. When i try and remove these properties of the JSON, I am told that I am not authorized to post an issue.

What is the correct error message here? Is it that I am not authorised and if so is the fields missing from the screen not really an issue?

When passing a username and password over the REST API, I am Base64 encoding it and also passing it in the Headers. IS there anything obvious I am missing?

Thanks

Paul

3 answers

0 votes
Sumit Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2014

you can add summary, customfield_11502 and components on create issue screen and try again

0 votes
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2012

Hi Stack,

AFAIK you can't perform administrative tasks via REST API (such as atribute custom fields to screens). It's what you're trying to do?

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

Paul Stack October 30, 2012

Im not trying to do any administrative tasks at all. Im trying to create a new Issue via the REST API

0 votes
OmarA
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2012

Hi Paul,

Regarding the first error "customfield_11502 and components", you need to make sure those fields have been added to the default screen of the issue creation.

Regarding the second error "authorized to post an issue.", it sounds that you don't have enough permission to create an issue in a specific project, would you mind to check by creating an issue with the normal UI first to make sure everthing is going fine?

Also that would be great if you can post here the HTTP Request headers and the Response headers.

Cheers,

Omar

Paul Stack October 31, 2012

The default screen for creating the issue has only got the 5 fields I am trying to pass. I am an administrator of the system and I am passing that username and password to test. There should be no restrictions.

the issue I am more worried about, is why is the first error telling me about the screens? Im passing the same username and password to both systems

Paul

OmarA
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2012

Paul,

Can you please raise a support ticket at https://support.atlassian.com regarding this issue, we'll look at further there.

Cheers,

Omar

Suggest an answer