Create Custom Label on the fly

Paul Rogers December 12, 2017

We are using Confluence to store details about projects.  We have a single site with multiple project pages within the site and each project manager will create and maintain their own pages.  This is a problem when using the meeting notes macro for instance as it will label each note with the site key (not specific to the page).  Thus project mangers see all notes in the automatically created index not just the ones they created for their project.  Is there some way to create a template which would label each note with for instance the page name or some other value and then we'd have the table for the index use that same one?  Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2017

Hi Paul,

If I understand correctly you'd like to have templates with dedicated labels so you can have a content report table that includes all the pages using the same template/label. The content report table filters out the pages that don't contain the label so the template must contain the label.

I set up something similar in one of my Confluence spaces.  For that I created a template and added a label by clicking on the label icon on the top of the page:

Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 8.27.52 PM.png

Then I added the label I wanted:

Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 8.28.05 PM.png

And then I configured my content report table to include only the pages with this label(incident-review in my example):

Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 8.33.22 PM.png

Is this what you were trying to accomplish?

You can always add labels to the page after it's been created (in edit mode).

Hope it helps,

Carlos

Paul Rogers December 13, 2017

Thanks Carlos,  Sort of what I was after but to be more specific:  I have many users creating pages in my space for instance:

Page Name = 'Paul's Project'

Page Name = 'Joe's Project'

Page Name = Mary's Project'

If I create meeting note using the the meeting note template I want my page to be labeled 'Paul's Project' so that only notes I see are the notes specific to this page.  Same for Joe's, Mary's etc.  So this would dynamically label these types of pages base on page name.  Thanks  Paul

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2017

Hi Paul,

Would it be acceptable if each project manager adds manually labels to the pages they create when they edit the pages?  Paul, Joe or Mary can click on the label icon and add "Paul-project", or "Joe-project" or "Mary-project", respectively. When editing the page, the labels icon (a tag) is displayed on the top of the page.

Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 9.58.16 PM.png

Hope it helps,

Carlos

Paul Rogers December 21, 2017

Thanks Carlos,  That may be what I end up suggesting.  We're trying to make this as fool-proof as possible.  This would require each project manager to 1st edit the the table which automatically indexes the notes based on the label "meeting-notes" with their own tag & then remember to edit the tag which automatically gets added to each meeting note entry.  With a lot of users I can see people missing these steps so I was hoping to get to some more automated mechanism for this.

Suggest an answer