Crazy Domains / Cheap Linux Hosting / MySQL

Mark Jelic June 9, 2015

I know many of you may take this as a joke... But I would like to install JIRA on a cheap hosting service that I am already using for my private domain name.  Yes, I know I could pay $10/m for Atlassian to host JIRA for me... But the thing is that I am not actually using JIRA for myself. Instead, I want to set up effectively a "demo" so that I can convince any project I join to use the wonderful JIRA for issue tracking. So paying even $10/m for the express purpose of advertising it is not right.  But, I'm happy to pay (and have) the $10 to host it myself.

I've got it to work perfectly fine on my personal Windows 7 desktop machine. So it can't be that hard.

But when it comes to installing software on a host server... And a Linux one at that... With MySQL as the supplied DB... I really am feeling a little lost.  I've asked Atlassian support, but understandably they have said that my request goes beyond their role, and directed me to ask here.

Hence, I'm here and asking of anyone has had any experience with hosting a JIRA instance on a cheap, no frills, Linux-based hosting plan supplied by the likes of Crazy Domains or any of the numerous vendors out there.

Thanks in advance! smile

3 answers

2 votes
no_longer_in_sudoers_file
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 9, 2015

I'm speaking from personal experience prior to my time with Atlassian when I say "don't do it" if you are intending to host on a shared hosting platform intended for basic websites.  Having come from a consulting background, I can tell you that this avenue will only lead to pain, as I have seen too many of these instances end up being compromised.

That said, I host my PERSONAL servers on Digital Ocean.  You can get servers there for as low as $5/mo.  While the smaller servers may not be adequate for JIRA, they are a low cost solution.

Here are the problems I have seen in the past when I have encountered this sort of thing:

(1) Most shared-hosting providers do not support installing JIRA because they do not support Tomcat, etc.

(2) Most shared hosting providers have minimal security protections and you could accidentally disclose project information on these machines.  (There was a nasty incident like this several years ago here in Austin taht I had to clean up.  The original consultant had deployed exactly the sort of "demo" you propose and the company he had pitched figured "we can do that too."  So they did the EXACT same setup and were compromised.)

My suggestion:  If you are going to do a "demo" use a virtual machine on your laptop.  This will allow you to mock up exactly what the target project needs from a base image (snapshot?) and work from there.  When the project agrees to go to Jira, you also have the configs and such ready for deployment.

I'm posting this as an individual and what I have said is only because I've seen this before.  As an Atlassian, I have to say that what you are suggesting is not supported, etc.  But as a fellow technologist (and customer of Atlassian), I have to say I understand your position.  Been there, done that.  I used to fight really hard for my JIRA and Confluence when I worked for other companies.

It feels good to hear that you love this product.

--Sam

William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2015

nice answer man

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2015

Yes, the problems I've had with shared hosting providers are all down to what they allow you to do - often it's restricted in many of the areas you actually need. The hosts are not really for running proper applications at all. If you're going to use a hosting company, you really need one who provides you with a server and lets you do what you want with it. The advice about using a VM for demos is spot on :-)

1 vote
William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2015
0 votes
Mark Jelic June 14, 2015

Thanks Sam / William / Nic.

I completely hear you about the dangers of those shared hosting plans and will likely stick to installing it on the laptop that whatever the current project I'm on gives me.  But that's the main reason I would like it in one central place. I don't have a Windows laptop of my own (yes, I am a Mac fan, which some IT managers get riled up about) and only have a Windows desktop machine at home.  Quite a powerful one, and happy to install JIRA there, but then I have to figure out how to open that machine to the internet so I can demonstrate JIRA at work - and all the dangers that entails.

Hence, it would be easier to host it... Be assured I would NEVER use it to host any sensitive data. It would be purely a demo with bogus/imaginary data in it.

William, I'll follow those links and see if any can help.

Sam... So if my existing host has Tomcat support... Am I nearly there?

Thanks again, and yes, I love JIRA!  So your sugegstions of a VM are not lsot on me and if that's the way I have to go, I will.  One way or another, I'll have JIRA to demo. Just want to try the easiest (to demo) solution, first. smile

Cheers,

Mark

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2015

Two things if you want to use the home machine to run it: 1. You need a static ip address, so that you can always find "home" from the internet. Or use a dynamic one which changes, plus a service like "no-ip", which will give you a fixed domain and keep in touch with your router so that when your ISP changes your IP address, the domain pointer changes too. (Note - I've said no-ip, but it's not a specific recommendation, just an example that works for me, have a look around for one that may suit you better) 2. Grab an old box or a raspberry pi or something cheap/low powered, whack a secured linux server distribution on it, and use it as a proxy on to your jira server at home. Tell your router to send all incoming traffic to it, and configure it so that it bins everything other than jira access

Suggest an answer