Counting the number of components attached to a Jira issue

Morten Hougs December 5, 2012

Is there a way in JQL to count the number of components attached to an issue?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

So I got this working with the JIRA Misc Custom Fields plugin.

Creating a new custom field (Calculated Number Field), using the following formula in the field description:

<!-- @@Formula: (issue.get("components") != null) ? issue.get("components").size() : 0 -->

For some reason this gave me issues when I configured the field to a specific issue type. When I configured it for Global (all issue types) it showed up in my issue navigator columns, and I can reference the field in the JQL editor.

Sorting the "counted" result is somewhat strange. It seems 0 is greater than any other number. I can live with this though.

1 vote
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2012

As Christian says. You could add a scripted field which calculated the number of components, which you don't need to put on any screens. Not ideal for ad hoc reporting though.

The other thing to do would be to hit the db directly... far from ideal.

Thanks for the reply.

I got a little further with the Calculated Number Field from the JIRA Misc Custom Fields plugin. I used the formula <!-- @@Formula: issue.get("components").size() --> in the field description (as pr. the documentation)

When I go to Issue Navigator -> Configure columns to add my new "count components" field, it will show a 10 issue preview with data, where the count value is shown correctly in the new column.

When I go back to the issue naviagtor, the new column has disappeared. I cannot reference the new field in a JQL query either. So it seems the field is doing what I want - I just cannot get the result where I want it.

I'll keep poking around. Any feedback is much appreciated!

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2012

I was talking about a scripted field from the script runner plugin, I'm not qualified to speak to the one you used I'm afraid.

Ok, thanks Jamie. I will be sure to check out the script runner plugin!

0 votes
Christopher Gronde December 20, 2019

Does anyone know where I can find a ScriptRunner Script that can do this? 

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 5, 2012

None that I would know of. I mean JQL is sth. like a WHERE clause. You don't have functions like SUM so you can't count.

Suggest an answer