Counting sub-tasks and records updated in JIRA

Cynthia Newlin June 18, 2015

Manager wants to count the number of sub-tasks within each JIRA within a report or JQL.  How is that best done?

There are issues recorded, example: DFX-123 is one task.  There are daily data fixes until the issue is resolved, so sub-tasks are recorded under DFX-123 as: DFX-124 where 23 records were updated, DFX-125 where 45 records were updated the following day, DFX-126 where 10 records were updated the day after, etc.

The same would follow for similar issues: DFX-456, DFX-567, etc.

What is the best way to generate a report where, by issue, you can see what is affecting the most records and prioritize by such?

1 answer

0 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2015

You can't do this out of the box. Maybe using a reporting add-on like https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.eazybi.jira.plugins.eazybi-JIRA ? Or you could write your own custom SQL queries to pull this data from the DB.

Cynthia Newlin June 18, 2015

Please provide an example of how to pull this using Custom SQL from the DB.

At a glance, I don't see how the reporting add-on helps in this case.

Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2015

You would need to pull issues from the jiraissue table. Then link children to parents using the jira_subtask_link link type from the issuelink table. Then combine this with the customfield and customfieldvalue tables to count the number of records being updated. The reporting add-on is very complex, and powerful, and may be able to do this kind of number crunching for you without writing SQL, though I have never used it and can't be sure.

Cynthia Newlin June 19, 2015

Would Confluence possibly be able to do any of this? 

He wants what most higher management wants, a nice report to look at for decision-making.

I find the BI lacking (in general) for Agile especially.

Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 19, 2015

If you do it in SQL, you could then use the SQL macro in Confluence to present the data there. Like I said, if you want to extend your reporting and BI functionality in JIRA, I believe that EazyBI is your best bet.

Deleted user February 25, 2016

@Cynthia Newlin. Hi I hope you don't mind me contacting you directly but did you manage to resolve this. I am in need of the same and would like a solution. Are you using JIRA server or cloud

Thanks

Suggest an answer