Count Mismatch on Filter Results (Current Number of Tasks vs "Is Parent Of" link

Mohammed Mahmudul Anam Manna May 7, 2020

I have a filter which shows a list of stories and the column selection has the following

Current Number of Tasks
Completed Tasks

But when I go and check the Child issues under one of the stories, I see that there are total 8 tasks, but in the filter results it was reported to be 7. 

I didn't see the same issue for anything else. Is there any way to identify where the stale/missing issue is (and which one)?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2020

Could you show us the sub-task display area of the issue with 8 tasks in it, and the full JQL of the query that is only returning 7?

Mohammed Mahmudul Anam Manna May 22, 2020

Hello,

Apologies fo the delay. Here is the JQL query (which is in our Dashboard Gadget and columns configured to show "Current Number of Tasks", "Completed Tasks"

project = DUMMY AND "Epic Link" in (Tom,Dick) AND labels in (Label1,Label2) AND issuetype in (Story) ORDER BY issuetype DESC

Attached is the section ("Is Parent Of") from the issue link which shows that there are total 7 tasks (vs query shows 5) and completed 3 (correct). We do not understand why/where the other two have been linked?JIRA issue links and inheritence.JPG

JIRA issue links and inheritence.JPG

JIRA issue links and inheritence.JPG

The JQL which shows "Current Number of Tasks" as 5 (as opposed to 7 according to the above image)

project = DUMMY AND "Epic Link" in (TOM, DICK) AND labels in (label1,label2) AND issuetype in (Story) ORDER BY issuetype DESC

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2020

Ok, so there's an issue which is included on the parent-of, but not in a search.

You'll need to look at that issue to see why it is missing from search.  Show us the issue header including the project, epic link, labels and type.

Mohammed Mahmudul Anam Manna May 27, 2020

I have checked this again. Here is the problem.

1) We opened 7 tabs with all 7 child issues visible from Issue Links. 

2) We unlinked-and-relinked issues 1-by-1. We have identified 3 issues which are not getting identified as we link them using "Is Child Of" from story.

I believe this is a bug at Atlassian/Jira side. There is nothing wrong with that issues in terms of how  they have been configured. We have also checked that.

Mohammed Mahmudul Anam Manna May 27, 2020

Also, we have run this query which returns exactly 7 results (vs 4 reported under "Current Number of Tasks")

issue in linkedIssues("XXXXXX", "is parent of" ) and issuetype in (Task)

I am not sure where the problem is - we cannot keep removing the links since it's a big job to relink all of them again. We tried to find a definition for "Current Number of Tasks" on Google - but nothing is coming up.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2020

So you have one result showing you 7 child issues and one showing 8.

Could you show us the simple issue view of the "missing" issue? 

Mohammed Mahmudul Anam Manna June 1, 2020

This is what happened so far

1) We identified 4 tasks under that user story which matched with the "Current Number of Task" column (A1, A2, A3, A4)

2) The other 3 tasks (A5, A6 ,A7) are somehow dependent of/required for other tasks. 

3) As soon as some of the dependent tasks e.g A5, A6 were transitioned to "Done" - we suddenly see 7 tasks in "Current Number of Tasks" column. 

The above seems to suggest that it's a lack of functionality and documentation from JIRA's side. From a user's perspective, if there are 7 child tasks of a story, "Current Number of Tasks" Filter Column should always show 7 (not more/less). Alternatively, there should be a clear documentation explaining what "Current Number of Tasks" column mean for Filter Results - which doesn't exist today. 

Suggest an answer