Could not create connection to database server

akinadeyemo1 December 15, 2019

Hi Team,

I am tasked to install Jira for a team of developers on a centos 8 server. As part of this exercise,

1) I have installed MYSQL 8.0 db server

2) I installed Java 1.8. I have set my JAVA_HOME in /etc/environment as JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0....x86_64.

3) I have installed jira 8.5.1software and copied mysql-connector-java-5.1.35-bin.jar to /opt/atlassian/jira/lib

4) I have created a mysql database and database user with all privileges to the database

5) I have attempted to connect with mysql database by selecting "I'll set it up myself", then put in details of my database setup but I kept getting  error message "could not create connection to database server"

Could you please help with the steps  I am missing out or the one I have configured wrongly

MYSQL was installed as a service and #systemctl status mysqld indicates it was running.

I also notice my dbconfig.xml is empty.

Thanks for your help

AA

1 answer

0 votes
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2019

Hi @akinadeyemo1 , 

this is because MySQL 8 is not yet supported by Jira, you should use MySQL 5.6 or 5.7. You can have a look at the supported platforms page : https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/supported-platforms-938846830.html

Let me know if this helps, 

--Alexis

akinadeyemo1 December 17, 2019

Thanks very much 

Suggest an answer