Correcting User Story story point: Estimate of 12,358 has been added

Ryan_Brown April 13, 2020

A User Story in my project encountered the following issue: " Estimate of 12,358 has been added". I reduced the story points but now my burndown chart and all other charts have this every high estimate which essentially renders them useless. How do i correct this value so my reports appear normal?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2020

Hi @Ryan_Brown 

I do not think there is a way to remove outliers (or entry errors) with out-of-the-box, Jira.  That would be a good addition for some teams.

As a work-around, you could adjust the board filter to explicitly ignore the specific story key.  The main board filter is used to manage reports, so this would remove it. Then you could abandon the broken story and create a new one.

The glitch will remain in history.  For a scrum board, it would drop off velocity history after a few sprints.  Then you can remove it from the filter.

By the way, this incident may be a good learning opportunity for the team; consider how best to confirm the story point estimates *before* starting a sprint.

Best regards,

Bill

Ryan_Brown April 13, 2020

Thanks @Bill Sheboy ,

Your work-around is what I have done in the past but was wondering if there is a better way. 

Unfortunately this seem to be some kind of software glitch as the Story (I have seen it happen with bugs as well) was created with this huge value ' 12,358'.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2020

I just searched the Atlassian backlog and did not see a similar defect, open or closed.

What may help you is to write a defect for their support to investigate.  They can probably diagnose this better using your specific example and data:

https://support.atlassian.com/

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events