Copying story points when cloning an issue

drew.hart June 1, 2022

Hi anyone ;)

I'm trying to copy the story points from an issue when it is cloned and can't seem to be able to do it.

Process

In clone issue into same project, same issue type

summary reads:  CLONE - {{issue.summary}}

I select Story Points in choose fields to set and set the value at 8

When the task is run I get the following error and the clone is created but does not fill the points in.

Unknown fields set during clone, they may be unavailable for the project/type. Check your custom field configuration. Fields ignored -
Story Points (customfield_10006)
Issues cloned successfully
DAD-5417
Any pointers or help would be great thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
drew.hart August 30, 2022

In our instance, it was a lot simpler. 

We just needed to add Story Points to the create issue screen and it then worked.  Seems it wasn't on the screen so couldn't fulfil the action.

Once added it works fine.

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 3, 2022

Hi Drew,

I've seen this problem before.  I think the root cause is in regards to team-managed projects having a separate, and second "Story Points" field.  This causes a lot of confusion for automation when having to then copy this field.  I suspect that the field you entered this value to, is not actually the customerfield_10006 field (which is also named Story points).

Check out this thread https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/Jira-automation-can-t-find-quot-story-points-quot-field/qaq-p/1471707

A number of users have reported a similar problem, but I think we have found some workarounds here of using {{issue.story points estimate}} smart value instead here to refer to this alternative story point field.

Check out that thread and let me know if that helps.

Andy

drew.hart August 30, 2022

Hey Andy, we were able to get to the bottom of it and I've posted as our answer in this thread.  Your response got us thinking and investigating it bit more and getting there so thanks!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events