Copying fields from a Story Issue Type into a linked X Ray Test Issue Type

Julie Spokus August 1, 2022

I am trying to have fields copied from a Story Issue Type into an X Ray Issue Type when I create a Linked Issue. I create the Linked Issue by clicking on the Plus Sign then clicking on + Create Linked issue. CreateLinkedIssue.pngMy latest automation rule looks like this:

Xray_Automation.JPG

But honestly, I am up to my 27th attempt to get this work. 

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2023

Hi @Julie Spokus 

Just in case you didn't find a resolution, this should work:

• Trigger: Issue Linked
    • Link Types = tests
  • Action: Edit Issue
    • Field = Business Channel
      • Value = COPY from Destination Issue

---

A few notes on this rule:

• When using Issue Linked as a trigger...
    • Automation reads the situation as this: If ISSUE-A is blocked by ISSUE-B, this rule will execute on ISSUE-B
    • So ISSUE-A is the "trigger Issue", and ISSUE-B is where the Action would natively be executed without a Branch.
    • In your scenario, the Story (ISSUE-A) "is tested by" the Xray Test (ISSUE-B) - so no Branch is needed.
  • I've assumed that Business Channel is a shared field on both screens - so you can use the COPY FROM function in the Edit Issue Action - to access this...
    • Add the Business Channel field to the Action
    • Select the 3-dots icon to the right of the field box
    • Choose COPY from the dropdown menu
    • Click on the Copy button (appears in place of field box)
    • Set Field to copy value from to Destination Issue
  • If the Business Channel fields are different between the two Issue Types, or the value changes, you could set a different value using the other options in the Edit Issue Action instead.

---

Let us know if this helps!

Ste

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders