Copy parent issue summary into custom field of sub-task

Leigh Tuckwell November 5, 2015

When creating a sub-task, I would like to copy the summary of the parent task and put it into a custom field in the sub-task.

I have created a custom field called 'parent issue' and I thought that I would be able to add a post function into the 'create issue' transition in the workflow to 'copy value from other field', but when I go to select the 'source field' it only shows custom fields that have been created, and the 'summary' field is not there.

Is it possible to copy from the parent's summary, even though it is not a custom field? Either that or to write something as the default value for my custom field that will automatically populate with the parent summary?

I'd prefer to do this without a plug-in if possible.

thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2015

You are going to need an add-on to enable scripting or post-functions to do this.  Even the one you've found (copy value from other field) is provided by an add-on.

Leigh Tuckwell November 8, 2015

Although I have admin privileges, I am not the primary administrator of the system, so I can see which add-ons we have, but I'm not familiar with what they can do. Which add-on do I need, and how do I need to use it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2015

I'd use the Script Runner, simply because it's the one I'm most familiar with.

Suggest an answer