Copy jira-developers permissions to another user group?

Tudor Hofnar May 14, 2015

Is there any way to copy the existing jira-developers user group to a new group? Essentially I would like to create a new group for QA (jira-qa) and have the exact same permissions as the jira-developers group. Is this possible to do? Or do I need to assign all the permissions that jira-developers has to the jira-qa group manually?

If I do need to do this, where do I assign these permissions? Is this under Global Permissions or Roles? I'm a bit confused as to what process to follow to get the jira-qa group to mimic the jira-developers group and anything I found in the docs hasn't really helped me understand this process so far.

Thanks for the help!

Tudor

1 answer

1 vote
Andre Borzzatto
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 14, 2015

Hi Tudor,

I'm not really sure of why you would need to mimic a group and have two different groups that do the exact same thing, but it's a no, you can't copy groups so they act exact as another one.

As you are creating this new group, you'll have to verify the extension of you jira-developers, what Global Permissions they have and what's the Project Permissions they possess.

If you have any Issue Security enabled, you'll also have to verify it.

For further information about Project Permissions, please read the following:

Here's another one for JIRA Global Permissions:

I hope it helps!

Thanks!

Tudor Hofnar May 14, 2015

Thanks Andre! The reason we wanted something like is to differentiate the teams we have (qa, dev, support etc.) on our SSRS reports. We are currently pulling SSRS reports from the JIRA db and we have data based on each user, however, we would like to have certain users grouped based on their department. I know we can do this in our query by grouping certain users but that just adds another place to maintain the list of users. Does that make sense? Is there a better way to achieve this other than user groups?

Andre Borzzatto
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 18, 2015

I'm afraid not, Tudor. It seems like what you want can only be achieved by creating another group, indeed. If you were to use JIRA Project Roles (my other suggestion) it wouldn't provide you such a high level grouping for your users and I think that's the point in having this new group you are mimicking. If you find a better solution, share it with the community, as there might be someone else with a similar problem to yours. Have a nice day!

Suggest an answer