Copy issue of Type A to Type B?

Dan Bogaty March 11, 2014

I have two issue types (say A & B) with some custom fields in common. I want to copy/clone an issue of type A to create an issue of type B carrying over selected fields' values. (Currently on Jira 5.2.7) The Clone capability documented seems to be limited to issues of the same type. So the subquestions are:

• Can I copy/clone an Issue of type A into an issue of type B?
  • Will Jira detect the common custom fields and copy values?
  • Can I select which field values are copied from the original?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dan Bogaty March 13, 2014

The native 'Move' capability does allow the Issue Type in the target project to be different than the Issue Type of the source project - no extra plug-in needed. This together with some process steps (in our case cloning the original issue first to keep the original) accomplishes what we want. The target project does not have to be a different project - you can move an issue (and thereby convert its type) within the same project.

Jira does copy the values from (all) Custom fields when the custom field is in both source and target issue types - even if the fields are on different tabs. But the fields/values in the target type do not appear tabbed except in "Edit" mode - which needs further investigation - may be a bug, or I'm doing something wrong.

Dan Bogaty March 11, 2014

Thanks, Filipe - I did not but will check - Was hoping there was something native I was just not seeing. Dan.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events