Copy field from parent to sub-task

Hi,

I have an issue type named: release and it has sub-task of type sub-bug.

I want the component of the release to be filled automatically in the Create Issue screen of the sub-bug, with the same component of the parent (release) issue.

Also, I want the Fix version of the release (the parent) to be copied as the Affected Version of the sub-bug (the sub-task) automatically, prefebely filled in the Create Issue screen (but not a MUST).

Thanks,

6 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

I highly recommend JIRA Misc Worklfow Extensions:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.innovalog.jmwe.jira-misc-workflow-extensions

It has post functions that allow you to set field value from parent (any field). I use it in my workflows and it does the job. It also has other quite useful workflow additions. :)

Hi there!

I have the same issue....

Any solution that is not sponsored by a paid app?

Thanks!

Andreas Knecht Community Champion Nov 21, 2016

There's now a very easy to configure way to keep fields for parents and sub-tasks in sync using Automation for JIRA!

You can easily modify related issues (such as parents, stories, sub-tasks, epics, linked issues and even JQL) using our related issues action and condition:

edit-sub-tasks.png

(this example updates the description, but pretty much any field can be edited)

For more details see https://blog.codebarrel.io/synchronize-parent-and-sub-task-issues-with-automation-for-jira-bdcca6c9d453

If it's ok for you to create the subtask in a transition, Bob has the solution for you at https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CSOT/JIRA+Create+on+Transition+Plugin#JIRACreateonTransitionPlugin-Description Please give this a try, it's really powerful since the latest versions

Hi,

I create the sub-bug (of Sub-Task) type manually, when we find a bug.

Therefore I cannot use the "Create subtask in a transition" solution, or I don't understand you correctly.

The best solution would be to fill the parameters in the Sub-Task Create screen.

Thanks,

Janiv.

Yes, i understand that. You would need to train your users to use a workflow action instead an operation. what might help would be to disable the original operation, put the workflow action at the very beginning and make it a global action that is available in all steps. Ok, said that , i see this is a lot of effort so Ramiros suggestion seems much better. it would just require to add a groovy post function to the create transition of the sub-task workflow

I'll recommend too a solution in case that you want to create the subtask on a transition. I'm doing something like that, but with two standart issue types and a issue link with the most famous Script Runner plugin. But I'm sure you already have that...

See my previous comment,

Thanks,

Janiv.

Another valid option is the "copy value from parent to sub task" post function of Workflow Essentials for JIRA. Its not free but has a lot of functionality to create custom workflows without any programming.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Aug 06, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

A is for Activate: Share your top Jira Service Desk onboarding tips for new users!

Hi, everyone! Molly here from the Jira Service Desk Product Marketing Team :).  In the spirit of this month's  august-challenge, we're sourcing stories of Jira Service Desk activation fro...

551 views 25 15
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you