Copy and paste license keys?

Robert Anthony September 7, 2016

Hi All,

Ive been back and forth with Atlassian on this, but I'm still not satisfied:

Hello, I am going to transfer multiple licenses from one server  to another. I want to transfer the following licenses:

jira 2000 user license
confluence 2000 user license
bitbucket 1000 user license
portfolio 2000 user license
crowd unlimited license
bamboo 100 remote agent license
scriptrunner for bitbucket license
scriptrunner for jira license
questions for confluence license

Is this really as simple as copying and pasting keys? I don't want anything overwritten, I JUST want to transfer the licenses so the services already paid for for once instance are instead used against another. 

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2016

There doesn't seem to be an actual problem here.  You want to use existing licences on new hardware.  Shut down the old server and install (yes, copy and paste) them on the new ones.  I don't understand what your comment about "overwritten" means,

Robert Anthony September 7, 2016

I guess my concern was that somehow actual data/content from the source installation would somehow come with the license. 

If I don't actually shut down the source instance, how can I move the license? Will there be an error if I try to replace a license already in use? What is involved with "Shutting down"?

This isn't bringing a license from a dev env. to a live env. or vise versa, its two totally different instances with different data etc. Knowing how finicky Atlassian is with data migration, I was worried about similar issues with license migration. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2016

Ah, I think what you're asking is to merge user numbers.

For example:

• JIRA A: 100 users
  • JIRA B: 25 users
  • You migrate a few projects from A to B and want to take 50 users with them.

This can't be done, you'll need a new licence for both systems.  A will need a 50 user licence and B will need a 100 user licence (as you need 75, you're in the 51-100 tier).

You could use the licence key from A on B, throwing away JIRA B's 25 licence and buying a new 50 for A.  You should talk to Atlassian about getting the new licences - they will probably arrange to offset any costs with remaining time on existing licences (e.g. the price of 4 months of 25 on B could be used to reduce the cost of the new 50 you'll need for A)

Note that it's also probably worth getting all of this working with development licences instead, they're intended to help you with moving stuff around amongst other things.

0 votes
Robert Massaioli _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 7, 2016

This question is tagged with Cloud but nothing Atlassian Cloud related would mean that you have to deal with licenses. Removing those labels.

Suggest an answer