Copy a Project

Jason Turner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2013

Is it possible to copy, duplicate or clone a project. I don't need all the issues in the project just the configuration. If I have to copy the issues that's fine I.

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Abdulrazaq Mohammed Ali Omar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2013

In Ondemand, you can use the JIRA Command Line interface to do this for you. Specifically the CloneProject command.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2013

Ah I see. Missed that one!

Jason Turner
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2013

I see I need to purchase a CLI license or something. Will I also need the CLI liences if we also plan to use the Jira API to update issues from another product?

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2013

While am not sure about the license, but you can refer to https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JCLI/JIRA+Command+Line+Interface , as this is a plugin or an itnerface that you use it from your computer and not installing it on your JIRA. This Command Line tool is developed by 3rd party vendors. But for using the JIRA API, you do not need another specific license as they are totally two different things.

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2013

No problems. Although this will clone the whole project with issues. You can delete those later.

Jason Turner
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2013

I almost have it using the Jira CLI. I am stuck on the ClonePorject command. I don't know how to include the projectKey. The documentation doesn't show how to add the switch for the projectKey. Any suggestions

I entered

C:\Jira>jira --action cloneproject --project test1 --toProject test2 --copyComponents

Error Message

Remote error: com.atlassian.jira.rpc.exception.RemoteValidationException: Cannot create project: projectKey:You must specify a unique project key, at least 2 characters long, containing only uppercase letters.

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2013
  1. Cloning of the issues is an option on the clone project action
  2. Atlassian CLI license has license information
Jason Turner
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2013

This command worked.

jira --action cloneproject --project test1 --toProject TST --copyComponents

Thank guys :)

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2013

Glad to know you got it working ;)

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 12, 2013

I also goof on the JIRA restriction of no numbers in the key all the time :)

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2013

You can't do it on onDemand. In the downloaded version, scriptrunner is an option.

Suggest an answer