Copy a Project

Is it possible to copy, duplicate or clone a project. I don't need all the issues in the project just the configuration. If I have to copy the issues that's fine I.

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Accepted answer

In Ondemand, you can use the JIRA Command Line interface to do this for you. Specifically the CloneProject command.

Ah I see. Missed that one!

I see I need to purchase a CLI license or something. Will I also need the CLI liences if we also plan to use the Jira API to update issues from another product?

While am not sure about the license, but you can refer to https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JCLI/JIRA+Command+Line+Interface , as this is a plugin or an itnerface that you use it from your computer and not installing it on your JIRA. This Command Line tool is developed by 3rd party vendors. But for using the JIRA API, you do not need another specific license as they are totally two different things.

No problems. Although this will clone the whole project with issues. You can delete those later.

I almost have it using the Jira CLI. I am stuck on the ClonePorject command. I don't know how to include the projectKey. The documentation doesn't show how to add the switch for the projectKey. Any suggestions

I entered

C:\Jira>jira --action cloneproject --project test1 --toProject test2 --copyComponents

Error Message

Remote error: com.atlassian.jira.rpc.exception.RemoteValidationException: Cannot create project: projectKey:You must specify a unique project key, at least 2 characters long, containing only uppercase letters.

1. Cloning of the issues is an option on the clone project action
  2. Atlassian CLI license has license information

This command worked.

jira --action cloneproject --project test1 --toProject TST --copyComponents

Thank guys :)

Glad to know you got it working ;)

I also goof on the JIRA restriction of no numbers in the key all the time :)

1 vote

You can't do it on onDemand. In the downloaded version, scriptrunner is an option.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,692 views 18 21
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you