Copy a Project with all issues

Martin Thwaites May 2, 2013

I'm currently doing a lot of playing with workflows/Issue types in our OnDemand Jira instance with Greenhopper, and I'm looking for a way that I can essentially "revert" the project when I'm done playing.

I'm thinking that are various ways to solve the problem, but not sure if any are possible?

1. Backup the individual Project, then restore it.

2. Duplicate the project with all issues.

3. Write an application that uses the API to iterate through issues on one project and then commit them to another.

Has anyone tried to do this and has an idea of how it can be acheived?

Thanks,

Martin

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2013

Hi Martin, the problem is that as you are in OD version of Jira you have limited options for this. In fact, there's a plugin (Script Runner) that can copy your project, but it does not copy all the issues.

There's a possibility of Importing a Project to the Jira instance but I'm almost sure this is not possible in OD version since it does make some changes on the instance.

Whatever you decide to do remember it's important to do a backup of the instance, in case something goes wrong.

In my opinion, what you have to do it's what I usually do, create a Test Project and Test Issues to try out anything you need. That way it wouldn't affect your real projects.

Hope this helps.

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2013

Just for the record, the script runner does copy the issues aswell! At least you have the option to do so...

Like rachaem likes this
Martin Thwaites May 6, 2013

I thought this might be the case, my issue is that I'm creating and tearing down projects almost daily at the moment to try and get a configuration that will work for us, so it's getting annoying having to create the issues everytime.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 6, 2013

It does copy the issues but individually (at least that's what I think). Never seen an option to copy all the project with all the issues.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2013
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2013

My bad... I really didn't knew there was that option but good to know now!

mfarrell June 2, 2016

Just be aware that when you copy a project with lots of issues notifications for every issue will go out based on the existing notification scheme. I found this out the hard way.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 2, 2016

that has been fixed, either in the latest version, or the version due to go out soon.

mfarrell June 2, 2016

Thanks Jamie. That is good to know. I was running it on a JIRA 6.2.5 instance. But we have test servers that have 7.4 installed. Probably works just fine on that version.

Taylor Smith March 18, 2019

Hi Jamie - How do you navigate to the screenshot that you posted?  Am working in JIRA cloud and haven't found the resolution.

vyshnavi bandarupalli May 30, 2019

HI Smith - Do you know the url shown in the screenshot above?

1 vote
Marlene Kegel -codefortynine- March 20, 2019

We released a Marketplace app for Jira cloud called Deep Clone for Jira. It enables you to clone and move thousands of issues in one go.

In order to backup your project you would have to

1. Create a new project

2. Clone and move all issues to the new project using Deep Clone for Jira.

If you have questions or feedback don't hesitate to get in touch with us.

Taylor Smith March 20, 2019

I used this the other day and it worked perfectly!  We don't need a monthly subscription, but would be interested in other financing options for occasional use cases.  Would love to support such a great tool!

Marlene Kegel -codefortynine- March 20, 2019

Hi Taylor,

Thank you for your positive feedback. We really appreciate it. 

Other financing options are unfortunately not possible because payment is made via Atlassian.

But you can support us by telling others about Deep Clone for Jira

1 vote
Abdulrazaq Mohammed Ali Omar
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 6, 2013

You can actually use the Clone project option in the JIRA Command Line Interface, which works also with ONDemand:

- https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JCLI/Documentation

Chuck Stoner May 6, 2013

Is the command line interface available for OD?

Rising Star
Rising Star
May 6, 2013

Yes it is, as this tool is installed locally and not on the server. Read more at https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JCLI/JIRA+Command+Line+Interface

Chuck Stoner May 7, 2013

I see that JIRA Clone Plus Plugin is required. Please forgive me as I am new to the Jira world. I've looked but haven't found it. Could you direct me please?

Thanks

Chuck Stoner May 9, 2013

The documentation for the cloneProject command states the JIRA Clone Plus Plugin is required. When we started to buy it, the page stated it isn't supported in the OnDemand version. Am I missing something here? Perhaps we were trying to purchase it in the wrong location. Will you please provide the link that allow me to add it to OD?

Thanks

Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2013

Chuck, you shouldn't need any extra plugins. JIRA CLI and JIRA Clone plugin are two different plugins. Go ahead and download this tool here, and follow the how to guide on how to configure it. There are also examples on the commands available here.

Chuck Stoner May 9, 2013

I really appreciate the quick response.

JIRA Cli is the tool I downloaded, installed, and configured. It was in the help text for jira-cli that I saw the JIRA Clone Project plugin was required.

The only examples I've found for clone are for cloneIssues, not cloneProject.

Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2013

Aah, there's one here that I just tested with my OnDemand test instance https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JCLI/Documentation Look for the cloneProject command, and there's available parameters you can use. Hope this works mate.

Chuck Stoner May 12, 2013

Razaq,

As you've no doubt inferred, I'm new to Jira. Your patience and assistance is greatly appreciated.

I have run the cloneProject but I'm still having a problem. None of the detail comes across, i.e. description, etc. and the issues do not either. When I added the cloneIssue command to the same command line I received the following error:

java.rmi.RemoteException: This operation requires the Clone-plus plugin be installed on the JIRA server. Remove project and type parameters to use the regular clone operation.
Clone of issue EBI-310 failed.

Could you direct me to an example command line that actually results in the cloning of an entire project including issues, sub-issues, epics, etc?

Thank you.

Markus Nordvik August 14, 2015

This is an old thread, but for the sake others that end up here: this is the answer from Bob Swift - basically, if you are using OnDemand, you can't use cloneProject to clone your issues into the cloned project: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/11986753/how-do-i-clone-a-project-on-jira-cloud

Suggest an answer