Copy/Link Defects from Test Details to Test Execution in Zephyr

Mike Bruckner August 28, 2013

I was wondering if it is possible to automatically copy (or link) defects listed within Test Details to the defects listed in the main Test Execution.

It would be helpful to be able to see either in a Test Cycle report or from the Plan Test Cycle screen to see any and all of the defects found within that particular test execution. As it stands right now, I need to link the defect to the actual test step, and then again to the main test execution.

7 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Chris Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2013

Hello Mike,

It current is working as designed, and currently the bugs filed against steps don't roll up to the report locations. I'll send this feedback over to the development team and they can consider adding this feature in a future build.

Kind Regards,

Chris

Kristjian Horvat January 28, 2014

On a related note, I take the report of step defects is still not available in 2.1 (as discussed in this conversation back in Apr : https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/153666/zephyr-attachments-to-jira-test-do-not-display-in-execution-of-test-cycle-issues-entered-in-step-do-not-display-in-test) ?

1 vote
Daniel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2016

Hi All,

We have made many strides in terms of features and functionality in this area since this thread has begun. Currently there are three common scenarios that are often times confused as the same thing. I will detail these below and let you know which are current features and which are coming.

1. Links are created in the Test Issue for Execution and Step defects - Release in 3.2testIssueLinksFromExecution.png
  2. Links for Execution and Step defects visible in Plan Test Cycle - Release in 3.2executionLinksInPlanTestCycle.png
  3. Defect labels propagating from steps to 'defects' field in Execution - On roadmap for 3.3executionDefectsAndStepDefects.png

We thank you for your feedback and hope this clears up any confusion. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to ask.

0 votes
Sarah Strohhammer July 15, 2020

This is quite an old question but I couldn't find any answer to this and I do have the same question. Could you please help?

thanks

0 votes
Andrei Sohan August 19, 2016

Do we have an update for this topic?

Gianni Pucciani August 19, 2016

This feature is available in the plugin XRay, this is the one we finally chose over Zephyr. You might want to have a look at it.

Andrei Sohan August 19, 2016

I'll take in consideration but I'm still looking for an answer for Zephyr.

Looks like v3.2.0 of Zephyr for JIRA add-on can create a  link from the issue created at Test Step level(Test Details -> Defects) to the Test Case (https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/192640), but I still have a question: Does the field "Defects"  from "Test Execution" section get updated automatically with the issues from Test Step level?

0 votes
Esben Nielsen February 9, 2015

Hi

I am struggling with the same "problem". Chris wrote nov 2013 that is works as designed. Where can I find a description of the design so that I can understand the logic behind this. I "think" the same way as Mike and Gianni.

Best regards

Esben

Daniel
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 10, 2015

Currently, during execution any defects created at step level will be noted on the execution when viewed at the Test Cycle-level. However, defects added to steps will not automatically be added to the overall execution.

0 votes
Gianni Pucciani February 6, 2014

I am also evaluating Zephir for Jira and found the same limitation, I consider that linking a bug to a test step is not advisable, one should always link to the test case not to lose the tracceability in the test cycle. However, we loose the granularity of the information, not knowing which step is affected.

Is this improvement on the Zephyr for Jira short term roadmap?

0 votes
Donna Hungarter November 17, 2013

I am struggling with this as well. I am trialing Zephyr for JIRA v.2.1.0.1459. I failed an individual test step and created a defect from that step. I was expecting to see the defect ID show up on the Cycle Summary screen for that test, or even on the details screen for that specific test, but the only place I see the defect referenced is when I click the E button for that test again. I feel like either I am missing something re: how this is meant to work, or perhaps this is a bug??

Suggest an answer