Convert Scrum Project to kanban and migrate existing tickets

rebekah.ettedgui September 11, 2019

Hi all,

My team and I are currently using a Scrum project board, which contains easy 600 items (stories,tasks and bugs). We want to move this project from Scrum to Kanban and I wonder how can I execute this change and still see all my existing backlog tickets and release versions in the newly created board?

I heard that I have to map my new Kanban board to my existing scrum project. How?

Thanks in advance for your support.

2 answers

7 votes
Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2019

Hi @rebekah.ettedgui

Kanban and Scrum boards are just a visualisation of your filtered work - there is no way to convert a Scrum board into a Kanban board, but you can create a new board and visualise it.

This is how to do this:

• Go to Boards > Create Board > Create a Kanban board
  • Select to create the board from an existing saved filter and click Next
  • Locate your Scrum board's filter on the next screen and complete other details
  • Once created, setup the board via board config. Most settings between the two boards are similar so you can replicate column layout, card colours, quick filters, etc
  • Kanban boards also have a Backlog - you can activate it from within "Columns" in board config

Remember that if you do use the Scrum board's filter - it will now be in use in two boards. This means if you continue to use the Scrum board and someone changes the filter, it would change on your new Kanban board also. If you intend to use both, it might be worth duplicating the filter prior to setting up your new board. Remember to share the filter if doing this.

I've assumed (based on the fact you have releases) you're using Jira Server / Data Center or Jira Cloud Classic - if you're on Next-Gen it is a little different as the boards can have sprints turned on and off, offering a different level of flexibility.

Ste

Gabi May 21, 2020

Hi,

For Next-Gen projects, how can I switch to Kanban?

Thanks 
Gabi

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2020

Hi @Gabi 

Next-Gen has features you can turn on or off to move between Kanban and Scrum. To do this, you'll need a role with project administration - then:

1. Go to your Project Settings
  2. Choose "Features" from the left-hand menu
  3. Turn on/off features - for example, turn off sprints. You could also turn off the backlog if you prefer.

Ste

Like # people like this
Leszek Lorek December 31, 2021

Very useful info. Thank you @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 

Like # people like this
Jelena January 4, 2022

@Leszek Lorek I use it like this...

I have one issue, though. There is a nice feature in Kanban boards -  Done issues can be automatically removed from the board after some time (like after 1/2/4 weeks).

This is something I can't do when I use Scrum project as Kanban (with Sprints Feature turned off). I can just manually delete them when I want, but delete all the issues that are currently in the Done status.

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ is there some way I can do it?

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2022

Hi Jelena,

I don't think so - but why not just use Kanban?

Ste

Jelena March 25, 2022

Ah, I know... the team is experimenting :)) Thanks!

Hannah Winnes March 29, 2022

@Jelena
Have you tried changing the filter for the whole board to (story isn't in done OR updated_at less than 4 weeks ago)?

0 votes
extern_Nelson_Loia February 27, 2023

Hi !

Greetings @Ste !

I have the same situation, but this is the opposite: I need to move from Kanban to Scrum.
I already did the Scrum Board and set the sprints, but this is not showing the cards correctly.

Please, can you (or someone) help me to fix it.

I hope the pics below clarify my issue.

Feel free to ask me further details.

JIRA - Kanban for 2 projs.jpgJIRA - Scrum for 2 projs.jpg 

Carl-Johan Eklund June 15, 2023

Hello @extern_Nelson_Loia 

I believe I have a partial answer for you and for the reason why the Scrum board does not show the cards correctly. We faced a similar problem when we had Scrum boards in a Kanban Project vs Scrum board in Scrum Project as the two type of project not necessarily share the same Workflow (scheme).

Unfortunately I am also trying to figure out how to possibly change a Kanban project to a Scrum project instead.

Hope this is of some help to you, good luck with the rest!

//C-J

Suggest an answer