Control Chart - Difference between Average number and Average line

Phillip Jones July 14, 2016

I'm struggling to understand what the Average number on the Control Chart is telling me.  In this article, which is otherwise very good, the author says "this team takes about 10 days to move an issue from in progress to resolved", and the line on the CC reflects this, but at the top of the CC it says 3d 22h Average.  There is no explanation that I can see as to how this average is calculated and how it relates to the line on the chart.  The link to the product documentation is also broken.

Can anyone help explain this to me?  Thanks in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
Federico Scheu July 28, 2016

Hi Phillip, I'm also trying to use this chart because it seems very usefull. 

I found this link whit the documentation about the chart, and in it explains how the time is shown:

For the summary statistics, how many hours do 1w and 1d represent?

The summary statistics (average, median, min, max) are displayed at the top of the chart. The wd and h characters are used to represent weeks, days and hours respectively for these values.

• 1w — This is always equal to 7 days, regardless of what is configured for standard working days and non-working days.
  • 1d — This is always equal to 24 hours.

For example, the max (cycle time) may be shown as 1w 2d 4h, which represents a period of 1 week + 2 days + 4 hours. This is (7+2)*24 hours, i.e. 216 hours."

Also explains how it calculates the moving average, but it doesn't explain how the average is calculated.

Suggest an answer