Consistent Numbering Sequence for JIRA

Eva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2011

I know JIRA has a different sequence for different project, and even when there is a prefix KEY, I would like to remove any confusion by having ONE consolidate sequence number for all 5 projects. Because it'd hate we go to a client meeting and someone mentioned ticket 123 for internal, when it means prod-5 to client.

I know you can change the counter one-time on the database (pcounter in projects), but I cant think of an efficient way to synchronize the number across all 5 projects. One way I thought of is to have a trigger that modified pcounter every time, but still, I am not sure if that's how JIRA works.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Eva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2011

FYI, I have resolved this problem by creating a trigger that will update the pcounter for all my internal projects per insert to jiraissue table. I also created the sequence for the pcounter and that will increase its counter when the trigger is executed.

Thanks again for your help Jobin :)

Arthur Cordova September 25, 2012

Eva - What did you mean by this sentence "I also created the sequence for the pcounter and that will increase its counter when the trigger is executed."? I have a similar situation where I work and I'm new to JIRA and this is the only solution that I can find that will work. I've already created the trigger but I need to understand what/how you performed this second part. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Art

Eva
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2012

So essentially I create a table call jira-sequence,that keep track of the sequence number (although you can also do it by sequence value, I think). And then i created a trigger that will sync up the pcounter to the next value of sequence for any insert to JIRAISSUE table. OF course, you have to make sure you update pcounter to the right projects and also make sure that you are updating the sequence to the next value properly.

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2011

There is a unique id across all projects for the issue but that is not shown anywhere on the issue and prefixed with the project. People won't find it easy to remember them as well.

Maybe you can have a customfield that shown that id prefixed with some user friendly key!

Eva
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2011

Yea I thought of that too, the thing is if I have one external project and 5 other internal project, that unique ID would still bump up when extenral user create issue on the external project.

Also, the ID would be a field and not greatly visible like the project ID now :(

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events