Connecting KANBAN and Scrum backlogs/issues?

chander.chawla@oradian.com January 20, 2019

Hey everyone,

So I am using classical JIRA software (not next gen) for project management. We have decided to use the combination of Scrum & KANBAN boards under our project. I want both of these boards to be connected. 

Meaning:

I am adding issues to the backlog of XYZ (my KANBAN board name) and using ABC (my Scrum board name) in labels for those issues. So if I add the Scrum board name in my issue label, these same issues also appear in my Scrum/Sprint board backlog, which is what I want. The issues are now present in both Scrum & KANBAN backlogs.

Now, If I start a Sprint and move the issues from Scrum backlog to Sprint 1, they don't get moved in KANBAN from backlog to "To Do" state. Is there any way to connect both KANBAN & Scrum backlogs? So if I move an issue from Scrum backlog to sprint, it also gets moved in KANBAN board from backlog to "To Do"

1 answer

0 votes
Mesut Yilmazyildirim
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2019

If you create your Scrum and Kanban boards with same filters and workflows, you can see your issues on both Scrum and Kanban boards.

Moving one issue on Scrum will also move in Kanban

You can check your board filters via Board >> Configure >> General >> Filter Query

chander.chawla@oradian.com January 20, 2019

Thanks for the response Mesut.

Workflow is issue specific, & It's the same issue which is appearing in both the boards (because I used labels) and hence, the workflow is same for both KANBAN & Scrum.

What do you mean by same filters? I understood the point of having same worflows but not really clear on having the same filters. Can you explain a bit more?

Thanks again!

chander.chawla@oradian.com January 23, 2019

Okay, figured it out!

Suggest an answer