Connect second readonly JIRA instance to MySQL replicated slave database?

Craig Leigh January 30, 2015

Here is the scenario.  We currently have a high availability infrastructure with our internal JIRA instance.  It includes a MySQL master DB and slave DB and one Production JIRA instance.   We want to stand up a second internet facing read-only JIRA instance.  We want to use the slave DB as master and chain another slave DB from that to which our internet facing JIRA instance will access with a read-only user.  I am proposing to have MySQL slave DB (C) with MySQL DB (B) as master which is slave to MySQL DB (A).  Production JIRA connects to (A).  New read-only internet-facing JIRA would connect to (C).   Is this possible or will internet-facing read-only JIRA still need to or attempt to make updates to DB (C)?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2015

Nope.

JIRA requires full read/write access to its database.  It won't even start without it (for safety).  So you'd have to have the slave enabled for write access.  Then your second JIRA would stomp all sorts of damage over your production data.

It's fine to replicate the data, report off it, read it, use it to create the backups and have it as a warm (but not hot) standby.  But you can't run two JIRAs against a single data set.

Right, now I've jumped all over that idea...  Have a look at JIRA Data Centre.

Thanks Nic.  I will look at Data Center.  Quick question.  Will Data Center allow me to have one node internal and another internet external  node hitting the same data.  Can I administer the external node separately with permissions and issue security thereby limiting access?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2015

Not quite. It's the same data you are hitting, so the permissions and issue security are identical on all nodes. Note that your plan to have internal and external facing systems won't work properly either - JIRA needs to be run on one single url, it can't have two.

Thanks for the quick response! --Craig

Suggest an answer