Connect JIRA Server to Oracle Analytics Cloud

Ashutosh Sahoo October 19, 2018

Do we have any techniques where we can connect Jira that is hosted on Server to the Oracle Analytics Cloud or do we have any technique where we can have the Jira database tables loaded to Oracle cloud database.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2018

You will need to connect to it over the REST interface and pull out the data you want.

You can not get any access to the Jira database on Cloud (and rightly so - it is not designed for reporting and attempts to report against it are always painfully inefficient, slow, and can destroy the performance of the system.  Plus most people get them wrong because they don't understand the database)

Thanks a lot  Nic for the information. But our Jira is set up on Premise and not on cloud. Please let me know if there is any techniques where we can extract the underlying tables of Jira and dump it Oracle cloud database.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2018

Ah, sorry, I completely misread that, and connected "Cloud" to the wrong place. (It's been a long day, I'm a little tired)

The point about not reporting off the database is still true.  That way lies madness (and huge amounts of work that will result in your users getting a lot of really badly inaccurate reports unless you train everyone to understand the database at an Atlassian developer level)

Please, don't just copy, or even directly access the database.  Use the REST interface to extract the data you need and put it into tables suitable for reporting.

Thanks Nic again for the information. So you want to say we should be using rest interface to extract the tables from JIRA and put it into oracle cloud database. Please let me know if you have any Jira documentation which have the list of tables and the information they store . Also it would be great if you have any handy document which has the REST interface documentation to extract the JIRA tables.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 19, 2018

Not quite "extract tables", but "extract issue and project data".  As a quick example, SQL would need a minimum of 17 joins across many tables (starting with jiraissue) to supply the field data you see for a single issue without any custom fields.  The UI and REST return the whole lot in one hit.

Start at 

https://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/REST/7.12.0

Mohammad Rafi Ansari October 30, 2020

@Ashutosh Sahoo  - Were you able to do any progress to create Reports in Oracle Cloud Analytics? I am also trying to create a report in OAC using Jira REST API. I am new to this and need some help here. Could you please help me on this?

Suggest an answer