Confusion on differentiating "Child issue" to a story with "Sub task" issue type

Deepan V.R July 23, 2019

I have a doubt on differentiating.,

What do you mean by "Child issue" to a story Vs "Sub tasks" issue type i am creating. Circled by red colour. For your reference..Can you please guide me on this. Child issue.pngSubtask.png

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2019

This is mostly about Jira-speak, which can be confusing.

• Jira uses the word "issue" to mean "something that needs attention that I will track".
  • A sub-task is a lower-level issue that lives beneath another issue.
  • You can name issue types and sub-task types whatever works for you.
  • A Story is a very common issue type, that is often broken down into sub-tasks.

So, in your question, it looks to me like your "child story" is a type of sub-task.   You may have others, even ones called "sub task"!

Deepan V.R July 23, 2019

Then it's in Story>Sub tasks>child issue..Whether the order in my understanding is correct..Nic?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 24, 2019

No.  The hierarchy for plain Jira is <parent><child>.  For Software, you can do <Epic><parent><child>, and Portfolio can add other layers around Epics

When I say <parent> there, those are usually "Stories" (but you could name them anything you want). 

When I say <child>, the default names are "sub task" and "technical task", but again, you can name them whatever you want.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer