Confused about Custom fields for Issues

Steve Houghton-Burnett May 19, 2021

Hi All

I have created 2 Custom Fields by going to the cog in the top right of the screen then Issues then Custom Fields - It says the fields are created - See image.

DoD Custom Fields.png

I now go to my backlog and from the left menu I choose Project Settings then Issue Types and select an issue type

Jira Issue Types.png 

My expectation was that I would be able to select the fields I had previously created and add them to each of the issue types in the list BUT... I can't see them on the right hand side of the screen (or anywhere else) to select them?

Jira US Field Edit.png

I know that I could create these Custom fields in each of the Issue types individually but that seems wasteful to me... It would seem better to create them once and then use them in multiple issue types?

So my question is - How do I use my centrally created custom fields in each of the different issue types?

I'm also not sure if I add them individually to each issue type and then populate the information when using the field, what happens if we change the issue type during the course of working with the issue? Say change it from User Story to Task?

Again my thought was that if I used the centrally created custom fields that it would preserve that information even if the issue type changed throughout the life of the issue!

HELP!!!

Steve H-B

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2021

@Steve Houghton-Burnett Welcome to the Atlassian community.

The project that you are sharing in your screenshot is a team managed project.  Team managed projects are controlled at the project level.  So if you would like to create a custom field you would do it on the issue screen that you shared. Team managed projects are self-contained and do not share fields with other projects. More information here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/customize-an-issues-fields-in-team-managed-projects/

If you create a custom field like the way you described that could be used across multiple company projects.  Company projects can share elements across projects and can be reused.  https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/create-a-custom-field/

0 votes
Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2021

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events