Configuring the "System Default Field Configuration" scheme

Gary Pasquale
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 28, 2017

Hi,

By default, the "Default Field Configuration" is attached to the "System Default Field Configuration" on new projects in JIRA.

However, this means all Issue Types on any project using the above set up will share the same Field Configuration.

Without having to create a new "Custom Field Configuration Scheme", is there any way of editing the "System Default Field Configuration" so that certain Issue Types can point to another Field Configuration other than the "Default Field Configuration"

Hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance.

Gary

2 answers

3 votes
Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2017

Hi Gary, if I'm understanding your question correctly, that's what Field Configuration Schemes are for.  You can use a Field Configuration Schemes to point some issue types to a specific Field Configuration and other issue types to a different Field Configuration, within a certain project.

Use Case:

In the project called "Development" I want the custom field "Environment" required when the issue type is "Bug."  In the project called "Support", I want the "Environment" field to be optional when the issue type is "Bug."

Yes, you can edit the settings of the default configuration(s), but if you only have one, it will impact how fields are treated for all issues.

Is that what you mean?

There's more on Field Configuration Schemes here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/associating-field-behavior-with-issue-types-776636450.html and on Field Configurations here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/specifying-field-behavior-776636443.html

Hope this helps,

Rachel Wright

Steve Letch June 9, 2021

You're misunderstanding him, It's that you can't edit the system field configuration scheme, so that the bulk of the issue types can use the default field configuration and 1 or 2 issue types could use a custom one. 

Since it's looking like this isn't the case that you can edit the scheme, not only will I have to create a custom scheme and field configuration, but I'll also then have to attach it to 108 projects manually, instead of just being able to edit the existing scheme and attach another field configuration to it, so that my planned change issue type is the only one that has the component field hidden.

2 votes
Dave_Liao June 9, 2020

In Jira Cloud, it's still not possible to modify the default "System Default Field Configuration" field configuration scheme.

You'll need to create a new field configuration scheme, then apply it to your target projects.

Once you do that, you can take advantage of issue type-specific field configurations.

syafiqahalim June 15, 2020

Hi Dave. What if the button for create a new field configuration are not display? What can I do for that?

David Peles February 3, 2021

Hi Dave, I have the same issue with my Jira cloud. but after I created a new field configuration scheme Jira still somehow relate my issueType to the System Default Field Configuration and not to the new field configuration scheme.

do you know maybe why? or how to solve it?

Thanks,

David Peles

Suggest an answer