Configuring the "Issues in Epic" list order

When viewing an Epic (https://jira.foo.com/browse/FOO-22) there is a list of linked issues "Issues in Epic". The list is ordered by Global Rank in descending order. I would like the list in ascending order, as nature intended. How can I configure this?

21 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi All,

I just found out that, if you arrange the stories or tasks of an epic in the order you want on the JIRA agile board/backlog, the tickets will be displayed in the same order under the issues in Epic view.

Hope this is helpful.

At least for Done/Accepted tickets, if you go outside of the Epic page, say on a Kanban or Release board, re-ranking the tickets will update the order displayed on the Epic page. Not the most efficient thing. Sorting controls would be very welcome.

Guys, this way was working for me: 

1. Create a filter like "Epic link" = XXX-1234".
  2. Make it shared with everyone.
  3. Create your own dashbord.
  4. Add here gadget "Filter Results" and specify your saved filter.
  5. For each individual issue go to properties (gear icon in the end of issue row) and click "Rank to top" starting from the less important issue (or "Rank to bottom" for the most important one).

Done.

Just enjoy the user-friendliness of it.

+100

I would like to organize my issues in Epic as well. move to Top and move to bottom are not very user friendly !!!

I added numeric labels to all of the issues under a particular epic and then displayed that column too to help get them in the right order when Ranking to Top. Not the most user friendly way of setting rank but at this point I'll use what I can. sad  Too bad this isn't a higher priority since it is such an old request and many people seem to want/need the same function.

I am in search for an easy solution for this as well. Creating a filter for each epic just for this purpose isn't a user friendly solution imo. A 'rank +1' and 'rank-1' option would be pretty helpful already.

Hello,

This was open in 2014, and here we are, 2017 with the same problem.

Anyone knows if this is still an open issue on Atlassian Support? Where we can vote and watch the issue.

2018, still the same issue. 

2020, still same issue

Add the Rank column to the issue navigator and change the Sort Order. But I am not sure, if there are unwanted side effects.

Thanks Jose. The question isn't about the issue search view - it's about the Epic view, where you are viewing an issue of type Epic.
Ah, yes. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

We're trying to make use of Epics for organizing sets of issues; having some kind of control over the sort of 'issues in epic' would be helpful.

Did anybody ever find a solution to this. Currently my issues in Epic appear in a bizarre order. All of my stories have medium priority. I would at least like them to be ordered based on the Issue ID so that they are in the order entered.

I also have a very strange order of issues within an Epic issue type. Anyone know a way to sort this list?

There is no official response to this question yet?

Since: 

Users no longer have the ability to edit Rank fields on the JIRA 'View Issue' page. The only way that 'Rank' fields can be changed is by drag-and-drop ranking on one of GreenHopper's boards.

• This change is a result of the switch to global ranking which means that ranking is no longer confined to just one project, so any changes to ranking of individual issues need to take account of the backlog (possibly multi-project) being viewed.

If you would like to rearrange the order of the issue on your epic, you can create a board for the Epic and manually resort the issues. 

create a filter to show your epics such as "Epic Link" = Issue-1234 

This only works as long as the issue is not in a sprint.  Once the member of an Epic is in a sprint, the relative order of that issue can no longer be changed.  If I am wrong, please tell me how.

Yes, that is correct. To change the rank once in a sprint, I believe you have to do it on the Sprint board.

+1

Add a heading row above the list and provide sort capability through clicking the heading.  Lots of OpenSource JS tools to do this.  It'll allow for anyone's use case as long as the column is exposed.

I don't care about that ranking stuff, just want to sort by issue id.

I have this need as well. Just throwing my hat in the ring. I have found other threads here as well asking for the same thing.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-9688

As an example. 

I "fixed" my epic by listing the issues in order (I used an editor, but could easily have used a filter in another window) and then worked from last to first marking each as Rank To Top. It doesn't re-order unless you refresh, you can if you want to check progress. Tedious, but only the work of a couple of minutes.

Some of these issues have been through sprints though. I didn't spot any weird side effects from changing their ranking. I'd have hoped for a warning if what I was doing was bad...

an interesting solution. There's only one Rank field, as far as I know, so it does seem that doing 'rank to top' would impact the position of the ticket in a kanban or scrum board, which might be problematic. 

It actually works the other way around. Ranking within the issue doesn't affect the sprint. But moving the issue in the Backlog Board to, say, the next sprint will change the order the issue appears within the epic ticket, if another issue from that epic was already assigned to that sprint!

Emailed the head of product.

Honestly a head scratcher that this isn't the default experience:

- Resolved issues are move to the bottom of the list

- Open tickets are ordered by priority.  This priority is visible within the table view.

Hi Alex, 

Did you get a response on this?

Another option would be to allow the order allow the order to be adjusted manually (drag and drop). Makes it a bit easier to handle depenencies etc if they exist.

So much complexity for something that could follow everyone's intuition. Alex said it best.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

148 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you