Configuring customized email

Midhun January 10, 2022

Hi,

My requirement is to configure a customized email (example - abc@abc.com) in Jira, so that whenever someone sends an email to that id (abc@abc.com). It should automatically create a ticket in Jira.

And the second thing is that it has to include component and status type also. Like, when i send an email it has to take the component and status type automatically and create a Jira ticket with it. Please let me know how can i achieve this

Note: This is a critical project and i am not sure whether they will allow e add some plugins. So please provide steps in both ways ( with and without adding plugins)

Thanks! Cheers!

1 answer

0 votes
mfabris
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2022

Hi Midhun!

You will need to configure an "email handler".

See here the instructions from Atlassian:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/create-issues-and-comments-from-email/

Unfortunately you will not be able to map a component to the ticket without a third party plugin, unless you get very creative with some automation.

An email has only three fields (recipient, subject, body).

So you will have to map

recipient --> reporter

subject -->summary

body --> description

For mapping the component the only solution is  to make sure with your stakeholders that when they send an email to create the ticket they will add the component to the subject of the email.

So for mapping the component you can do an automation like this:  

Go to your project settings, automation and start a new one.

Trigger the autmation for the "Create Issue" Event in your project

Then add an if condition, using JQL: "If summary ~ your component name

Then add an action: modify the component into your component. 

Repeat the operation for each and every component

I hope this helps!

Suggest an answer