Configure sub-task to convert to standard issues

Sarah Smith January 24, 2018

When I try to bulk change my sub-tasks to a parent issue, the only issue types that are listed are other sub-tasks. The same occurs when I view an individual sub-task and try to change the type from the Issue View screen.

How can I configure my system (as an Admin) to allow me to convert sub-tasks to Parent issues, when the parent issue type doesn't even display in the "type" drop-down? 

Please help.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2018

You can't "edit" the type to change between parent and subtask types, the configuration for them is incompatible (one has no parent, the other has it and it is mandatory)

Individually, you can use the tools menu on the issue view to convert them - there will be a "convert" option in the menu as long as you have edit rights for the issue.

If you use the "bulk edit" option from a search, you should find it offers you mass conversion when it asks if you want to "move, edit, delete" as well.  As long as your search is for only parents or sub-tasks I think.

I have full admin / Global permissions in Jira. On this article (https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/configuring-sub-tasks-861254010.html) it states you can configure sub-tasks to "convert issues to sub-tasks (and vice versa), but there is no section on the page that actual details how to perform the conversion. The convert option from an individual task did work for some of my sub-tasks, but the option is not available for all of my sub-tasks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2018

The doc has a section "Editing a sub-task issue type", but you've already found what it says.

If it's not available on a sub-task, then there's a permission in the way, probably that you are not allowed to edit it.

Admin permissions have nothing to do with issue permissions.  I think you've already got "bulk edit", but I suspect you've tried "edit", but it's actually buried under "move", where it will let you select a project and issue type.

Ok. I will look into my permissions. Thanks!

Sarah Smith January 25, 2018

So I checked, and I have full permissions in the system, so it was not a permission issue. However, you were right! I was trying to "Transition > Edit" the issue, when I should have used "Transition > Move." By using the latter I was successfully able to transition my sub-tasks to the Standards Issue Type (Task). Thanks!

Suggest an answer