Configure notifications: One one email per ticket until next view

Roberto Zufallo May 9, 2017

hi,

major annoyance with JIRA ist for me that it sends out too many emails.

I am aware or the notifications schemes BUT what I'd like JIRA to do is not in there (or is it?): Can I set up Jira to send me a notifiaction if something has changed in a watched ticket, but only ONE notification, no matter how many changes are done to the ticket after that.

This should reset when I was online in that ticket - so the next change after that again triggers one email.

the schemes do not seem to have this - but is there a Plugin for that?

Redmine has this out of the box, and I really miss it! THX

3 answers

0 votes
Oleh Vasyliv September 20, 2018

Hi Roberto,

Our Email Notifications Digest add-on for Jira allows to configure how Jira email updates should be sent.

There are 3 email notification modes supported:

• Instant Updates - sends email immediately per each issue change (super annoying)
  • Issue Digest - waits and collects issue updates for several minutes before sending
  • Summary Digest - collects updates from various issues within a day and sends them in a single email per defined schedule (this is previous generation digest)

Hope you will find it helpful!

Thanks,

Oleh

0 votes

I used four community / ticket solutions in the past: vbulletin, xenforo, redmine and Jira. Three of those out of the box are able to send emails "a change XY has happened, THERE MIGHT BE CHANGES AFTER THAT" stop.

what a total dissapointment!!!

0 votes
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2017

You are right that the notification schemes don't support what you want.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-1369 is pretty much the definitive thread on this area. There are a lot of comments, but in amongst there you'll find some suggestions for add-ons that might help you.

For what it's worth, my personal experience is that I don't bother with email notifications much. I either use a mailbox rule to file them away or turn them off.

I find I can use dashboards and filters to keep track of issues I am interested in (an example being a filter which shows all issues I am watching that have been updated in the last 24hrs - note it's possible to subscribe to a filter like this to get a digest-style email every morning). 

thank you for your reply and info. I'll have a look.

This really is a bummer though: To have a core feature where experience users recomend that it can be improved by switching it off is a pretty hefty sign for something worth being changed IMO.

And given that email-notification play such a vital role in any redmine-enviroment there ARE some hints wht might be broken...

Suggest an answer