Configure Sprint Burndown Chart to show number of open Sub-tasks

Aleksandr Makarov July 4, 2019

Hi!

I want to configure Sprint Burndown Chart, to show number of open Sub-tasks.

When we have a planning there are User stories which we divide on sub- tasks.

There is no need for us to estimate sub-task (we know that each takes about 8 hours to complete). So that is why we just count them.

Now there is a problem, that standard Burndown chart in Cloud JIRA counts only number of User stories(US) without sub-tasks.

I found decision here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Modifying-Burndown-Chart-to-show-Sub-tasks-instead-of-Story/qaq-p/212804

and from this conversation, you'll get to this site:

https://www.novatec-gmbh.de/en/blog/how-to-add-the-missing-sub-task-burndown-chart-to-jira-software/

I tried to do it on JIRA Cloud, but I didn't succeed.

There was no decision too(

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Including-Sub-tasks-in-Burndown-Chart/qaq-p/633368

Of course, we could use tasks instead of sub-tasks, but that is not so convenient.

Could You advise, what could I do?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Aleksandr Makarov July 22, 2019

Hi.

I found several solutions (cloud version).

1) Google docs.

JIRA 1.jpg

+ In excel or google docs you could build whatever you want

- It is not  convenient for the team to use google doc.

I have a JIRA. I want to create Burndown chart there

2) Application from market

+ you could create burndown, which will count number of open sub-task (that is what I want).

For this, you should type in JQL field "= sub-task"

+ it builds ideal burndown line

+ it builds ideal and real burndown line for each team member separately (optional)

- this is not free

- does not display changes of the scope

3) Free application from market

+ This is free app

+ It displays real burndown line 

- does not display changes of the scope

- I didn't get how to create ideal burndown line

JIRA 2.jpg

You could customize using next instruction.

and maybe this issue would be helpful.

4) Customize JIRA standard report

JIRA 4.jpg

+ this is free

+ it display ideal burndown line. But, on my screenshot is doesn't, because I start sprint and after that I indicated number of sub-tasks. It should be the other way around.

+ it display the scope changes

- I should type number of opened sub-tasks for each user story manually (after daily scrum)

I'm using last option.

You can configure it as follows:

1) Create new field.

- open "JIRA settings"

- choose "Issues"

-choose "Custom fiels"

-click "Add custom field"

- In modal window choose "Number Field"

- Click "next"

- Add name of the field. For example "Number of opened sub-tasks".

3) configure new field (this new field)

- Find "Number of opened sub-tasks" field in the list

-click "..."

- click "Configure"

- find  "gear wheel" icon. Click it

JIRA 5.jpg

- choose applicable issue type. There I chose "user story", "Bug", "Epic"

Done

Now issues with type "user story", "Bug", "Epic" have a field "Number of sub-tasks".

JIRA 3.jpg

On planning fill them, then start sprint.

After (or during) daily scrum change the number of sub-tasks.

0 votes
Danut M _StonikByte_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 11, 2019

Hi @Aleksandr Makarov,

The newest version of our Great Gadgets plugin offers this. The burndown gadgets have an option to include sub-tasks, which you can use to achieve this.  The plugin is available for both Jira Server (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1218777/great-gadgets-for-jira-server?hosting=server&tab=overview) & Jira Cloud (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1216564/great-gadgets-for-jira-cloud?hosting=cloud&tab=overview). 

Danut.

exp-glauber June 18, 2021

Danut, we are looking for something like this, too. I checked your plugin's page, and it has many examples, but i didn't see an example that shows burndown by sub-tasks (or including sub-tasks). Would it be possible for you to post such a picture here?

Danut M _StonikByte_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2021

Hi @exp-glauber

Sure. See this example.

SprintBurndownBySubtasks.png

The gadget has a checkbox "Count also the sub-tasks and their estimate", which makes the subtasks to be included. A similar setting you will find in other gadgets like Release Burnup Burndown Chart (with Forecast), Team Velocity or Kanban Velocity / Throughput.

Also, these gadgets supports calculation by Story Points, time estimates (and time spent), issue count or by any numerical Jira custom field.  

For more details, please take a look in the app documentation or feel free to contact us  at support@stonikbyte.com. 

Danut

exp-glauber June 23, 2021

Thank you, this was very helpful. We'll go on to install a trial and evaluate it.

Suggest an answer