Configure 'Labels’ field to point to ‘Fix Version/s’ field by default

Roshan S October 14, 2012

Hi, I'm using Jira 4.3 version.

Is there an configuration to point 'Labels’ field to point to ‘Fix Version/s’ field by default.

For e.g. if 'Fix Version/s' value is entered as '1.1', the 'Labels' value should automatically show '1.1' .

Can this be accomplished ?

Thanks in advance.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2012

Use JIRA Suite utilities plugin and copy the value from FixVersion to Labels in a post function (Copy Value From Other) in "Create Issue" transition (if you are collecting fixVersion during issue creation) and also in all transitions that changes the FixVersion. And remove FixVersion from the edit screen.

https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/JSUTIL/JIRA+Suite+Utilities+Workflow+Post-Functions

I have not tested it, it may work.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2012

I'm not sure that'll work - I think the Jira suite utilities can only copy between fields of the same broad type (text -> text, date -> date etc). In this case, you'll be copying Version -> Label.

I do have one reservation about it as well - version names can have spaces in them. Labels can't. So I have a horrid feeling that you'll need code even if the JSU works, because the JSU copying "Our Fix 12.3" will create labels "our", "fix" and "12.3" and you need to code for renaming it to "our_fix_12.3" or something.

Still can't hurt to try it though.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2012

You are right, it a weird mix. Script runner will be the best option to have better control.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2012

You need to find or write a listener that will pick up any events that are fired by changes to the issue, reads the event for the change of version, and duplicates the version information into the labels field.

If you need to write one (I'm pretty sure you do, I'm not aware of a plugin that provides this already), then it may be worth installing the "Jira script runner" and using that to do it.

Suggest an answer