Configure Jira and Bitbucket Branching Model To GitFlow

Gal Segal December 14, 2013

I try to use Atlassian products across all development process. I chose GitFlow as a working flow on SourceTree, and aim to streamline it via Jira and Bitbucket as well.

Few things I would like to understand:

1. Is there a way to configure the behavior of "create branch" on Jira to identify features/hotfixes/bugfixes and tell Bitbucket to open branches accordingly? (ie for a feature called XXX-123, open branch feature/XXX-123 from develop branch). As far as I see, Bitbucket opens a branch called XXX-123, but from master.
  2. Is there a way to close a branch after the issue has been closed? I see "create branch" button on closed issues.

Thanks,

Gal

7 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Gal Segal December 26, 2013

Opened a request on the SourceTree repo.

0 votes
Khaled AbuShqear February 22, 2022

any actual real documentation to setup this??

0 votes
myTraderNET August 30, 2020

Hi,

I am not sure if this will help you.

the default develop branch to the project is master. You can change this.

1 open you project;

2 select repository setting at the bottom;

3 select branching model;

4 set development and produtinhos branch according.

0 votes
Gal Segal December 20, 2013

Unfortunately, this is an issue needs to be resolved by the dev team of Atlassian.

I will be waiting and meanwhile do things manualy.

0 votes

Unfortunately, this is an issue needs to be resolved by the dev team of Atlassian.

0 votes

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2013
Gal Segal December 14, 2013

Thanks for the sugestion... I know my way on git and this is not what I asked for. Since my team already use Jira and Bitbucket, and Atlassian offers integration between all its products, I wondered if there is a way to streamline development process, especially branching and merging, which is human error prone.

Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2013

For item 1, if the integration only opens a branch in master, then I guess you're stuck with that. I know that if you use Stash, it allows you to choose which branch you want to create it on.

Gal Segal December 15, 2013

Thanks for that. I know stash supports it better than Bitbucket. If you look at the URL in Bitbucket, after you click the "create branch" on Jira, you can see it has "IssueType=Feature" in the query string, but Bitbucket ignore it.

I think it can be better if you define the Bitbucket repo to use GitFlow and use this info to create the equivalent branch.

Suggest an answer