Configuration query - Retire/Archive Issue type

Olle Friman June 18, 2012

Hi Atlassian.

I am trying to find a way to retire an issue type, but do not succeed and would like your help to find a way to do this.

I have found this issue https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-26016 . But it does not help me much. As far as I can find there is no complete solution for this, but I saw somewhere that it might be possible to make some trick in the workflow.

Please let me know if you can help me with this.

Thanks

Olle

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 18, 2012

Yes, there is a slight weakness here - you can't remove an issue type without swapping existing issues of that type to one that will remain.

I've seen and tried/used a number of workarounds:

You could try javascript to get the users browser to prevent the users selecting the type. Good: consistent interface - the users simply aren't offered the option of that type. Bad: Pig to maintain, especially when Atlassian rearrange the interface on upgrade and it's a doddle to bypass, and if your javascript isn't strong (mine is awful), there's worries about it working on all browsers etc.

A more robust and blunt option is to reconfigure the issue type so that it behaves differently. There's two broad routes:

1. Add javascript to the "create" screen for the issue type - simply remove the "create" button (if it's a sub-task type, you'll have to think about the quick-add screen on parent issues as well). Again, a sneaky user can get around it, but it's more robust on upgrades and the code is easier.
  2. Add something that breaks the issue creation - this is rock solid and can't be bypassed, but is quite annoying for users. To do it, I usually add a field called something like "do not let me work", then for the blocked issue-type, use the field configuration to make the field mandatory. Then, do not add it to any screen. Jira will demand the users enter it to create an issue, but they can't, so they can never commit a new issue.

I highly recommend telling your users if you use either of these blocking tricks - put something on screen saying "issue type not available, so don't bother". I use the Jira Toolkit message fields to do this (in big red letters etc)

Srinivas Patruni July 17, 2013

Hi Nic,

I followed your suggestion of hiding the unwanted issue type using JavaScript in JIRA 4.4.5 but it is not working on JIRA 5.2.5 because Create Issue and Create Subtask screens are now coming on dialog boxes. How could this be resolved in 5.2.5?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2013

Yes. In 5 and above, the javascript trick fails. I'm afraid your only real option now is the "break the create". Remove "summary" from the creation screen for that issue type. But please, if you do it like that, seriously chase up a way to put a message on the screen to tell the users that the issue type is deprecated!

Srinivas Patruni July 17, 2013

I am not sure users will shout at that because till now we hide the issuetype(by using JS :) trick). We also have some other JS scripts that were pasted in the description of custom fields and they are working fine. Cant we get hold of issuetype option by any means to add this script..??? Please help..

Royce Wong
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2014

I think you'll need to "break the edit" as well, since users still can create unwanted issue type via Move operation (move operation generates an update event rather then a create event).

LakshmiS June 29, 2015

Nic, is there any improved way to handle this now?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2015

No. (p.s. Royce is correct too - trying to do this with javascript won't work because you can still use "move". And since my original answer, more ways to create issues have been generated, so the advice of "don't bother with javascript" is even more true because you need to do it in a lot more places)

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2012

One way is to do a search for that issue type, do a bulk edit and change the issue type to something else (turn your email notification off for that!). Then, just delete the issue type.

Suggest an answer