Configuration Recommendations

Is it ok to run Jira, Confluence and Stash on the same app server? The database is on it's own server.

4 answers

1 accepted

Hi Geoff,

it depends from server characteristics (disk space/memory and so on). Teorically there're no problem using the same server. Please, use a specific tomcat container for each application.

Hope this helps,

Fabio

The servers have 2 cpu with 8 cores each and 48 GB of memory. Expecting no more than ~200 users at a time.

0 vote

I need to be careful here... When you say "app server"...

Do you mean the same physical or virtual server (I mean the hardware - cpu/memory/disk box)? Or do you really mean what you said, the "app server" - Tomcat/Websphere/Jetty etc?

If you mean the same physical machine running Jira, Confluence and Stash separately (i.e. three application servers), then yes, it will work, as long as you have enough resources for all three to run simultaneously.

If you really do mean all in the same container/app-server, then no, absolutely not. In theory you can. In reality, Atlassian really really really recommend you don't do it, and my opinion is that their advice is right - I've never seen it work well enough to be called anything better than "unhealthy". "Disasterous" would be a better word.

Many thanks for the speedy responses, Fabio and Nic. Sorry for the confusion concerning the term 'app server'. I meant it to mean the server hosting the applications, not the server hosting the database(s). Each app will definitely have it's own tomcat container. This helps a lot!

Cheers,

Geoff

Apologies for getting picky, but I've answered based on the wrong assumption of what someone means by "application server" too many times. What's particularly annoying is I use the term regularly myself without explaining which one I mean. I got caught a while ago when someone taking minutes of a technical meeting pointed out "Nic really did say that we could run several application servers on the application server". So now, I ask...

No worries, Nic. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks again!

Geoff

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,323 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot