Condo Maintenance Work Orders

Jan W February 12, 2019

Has anyone ever used Jira to enter and manage work orders for a condo's maintenance team?  I use Jira at work for software development and product management and would like to get our condo to use a tool for managing maintenance work orders.

Given that I've done the config for several projects here it seems as though it should be quite easy to do.

If anyone has done this please provide any info that you can...

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2019

Not sure what a "condo" is, but if it means what I think it does (a US-English contraction of "condominium"?) , then I've come close, using Jira to handle buildings maintenance in an office.  That project went so well, one of the clients users adopted Jira to do buildings maintenance on some serviced flats, and another on some sheltered accommodation.

For all of these, it was a Jira Service Desk installation, with appropriate request types defined and usually basic distinctions between work that needed authorisation and work that did not.

Jan W February 13, 2019

Yes I do mean Condominium. 

It sounds as though you have done what I am looking to do however, I'm not sure that I want to use Service Desk because I am not familiar with it and the licensing doesn't seem as advantageous.

Have you tried using a Jira project?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2019

You have to use a Jira project - Service Desk is not separate, it's a layer on top of a project that simplifies things for the end-user ("customer") and adds reporting and other functions for the people handling the requests ("Agents"). 

The Agent still uses the jira project to handle it all in whatever level of complexity and process you need behind-the-scenes, the customers just get a simple request to track.

An example -

• As a customer, I notice a drain pipe is bust outside my window - I want to raise it with the landlord and be told when it will be fixed.
  • As an agent, I might have a process of calling standard maintenance, them assessing it and going for either them fixing it themselves, or calling in a contractor (with cost approvals needed) to do the work, and so-on.  I'm going to have booking times, possibly conversations with the customer, and possibly more with the people fixing it.

If you're happy to expose the whole process to the customer, then you can give them a Jira licence and let them into the project.  If you want to keep it simple for them, get Service Desk - your agents are a lot more expensive, but your customers do not need any licence at all.

garyj September 25, 2019

Hi Nic,

I am perhaps jumping in on this thread a little too late, but I am trying to do exactly the same using Service Desk for a Real Estate Agency (Realtor).

I am finding the optimal approach is treating internal staff that manage maintenance as Agents, all tenants as customers. What I am interested in is how to handle two things:

1. When we need to call in a contractor to do the repair - what do you think would be the process within Service Desk, i.e. how would you set up contract in SD and then send them a job? 
  2. Assume the landlord needs to approve the job how would you build the approval workflow without having to give each landlord an SD license? 

Would be awesome to hear your thoughts has as you have done it for building maintenance / serviced flats / etc. 

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Gary

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2019

@garyj  - it is never too late to ask!

I don't think "maintenance = agent" and "tenant = customer" is a bad model myself, but I do want to explain the context in which I say it.  My job is to be a (mostly) Atlassian consultant, but I also own property that I rent out.  So I would like to think that I understand your case.

To try to answer your points, ideally, I would set up the contractor as a Jira user, but if I wanted to save money, I would have them as "customers" so that they are free, but can see some Jira data

Like garyj likes this

Suggest an answer