Conditional Fields - Category and Subcategory

justin alonso January 27, 2020

Hi,

Trying to understand how to create custom fields that have conditions in Jira. I am migrating a team from their custom Jira like tool to Jira for cost savings. One of the form requirements is: when a user selects a category in a drop down, a secondary subcategory field adjusts. These subcategories depend on the category chosen, and are different based on the category chosen.

For example, the category could be Reporting and then the subcategory drop down would be a drop down of different reports available for request. Another category would be an Access Request where the subcategories would be completely different (versus Reporting subcategories). I believe this functionality exists in Jira Service Desk but wanted to understand if it exists in software projects as well.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2020

Yes, you are looking for a field of type "cascading select".  Our usual example is "country / city" but the words are not important.

justin alonso January 27, 2020

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- thanks for the quick response. So I saw the article
on cascading select but only saw this functionality available in Jira Service Desk. Does this functionality exist anywhere in Jira Software? I did not see cascading select as an option when creating custom fields.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2020

Cascading select lists are part of the core product of Jira.

Suggest an answer