Conditional Field Update in Jira

Eran Roiter May 5, 2024

Hello everyone,

I'm seeking some guidance / help regarding a potential customization in Jira.

Is it feasible to implement a condition / automation wherein the team field is altered to a specific option, and the story points remain empty, updating that field would be prohibited, triggering an error or block prompt?

Your insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

1 answer

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2024

Hi @Eran Roiter , i'm not sure that I have it right or not but could you check the below and verify if that is what you are actually asking?

IF "Team" = xxxxx AND "story points" is empty THEN make "story points" read only

assuming so or if it's close, then you won't be able to do this natively. you would need an addon for that as there is not field permissions built into Jira.

Eran Roiter May 5, 2024

Hi,
Thanks for your answer, I can find the JQL I want, and it look similar to what you wrote (with Team as "blocker").

The question is how to block it =/ i know i can add validator, but that's between status.

maybe there's something in an edit screen?

Matt Parks
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2024

In order to make a field conditionally read-only on the edit screen, as Jack pointed out, you will need a third party plugin like Scriptrunner. Jira does not have this functionality out of the box.

Like Eran Roiter likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events