Component field can't be edited

Lee Correll
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2013

When I move issues from one project to another, the JIRA system field "component" doesn't transfer into the target project, and I can't edit that field. I didn't think there were field-level security mechanisms in place in JIRA, and I can't find where to enable that field's use.

Any suggestions?

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2013

Component is a system field, and the list of them is project specific. You need to make sure component is valid in the target project (check the field configuration, and then if it's on at least the "view" screen - these won't stop it moving if they are not set, but they will hide it from you). Then, you need to make sure the component exists with the same name in both source and target projects, before you move the issues,

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2013

Do you have different screens / field configurations in use in your target project? And for the field "content": Every project has its own components. Movin a field to another project doesn't add the component to the component list of your target project.

Lee Correll
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2013

"Component" appears to be a JIRA system field, not a custom field - so that field exists across all projects.

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2013
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2013

It is a system field but the values are project specific

Suggest an answer