Completed vs. Committed Story Points in a sprint

Leesa Haslam January 11, 2022

Background: We are encouraging teams to challenge themselves to deliver on committed scope within a 20% plus or minus range.  We have some teams that commit more than 2x what they deliver.

Question: How best to measure/manage the measurement?

• The Velocity report is problematic because at times, teams start a sprint while still moving in committed scope.   This report isn't available until sprint end. 
  • The Sprint report is problematic because it shows 3 buckets - completed, not completed, removed. This report isn't available to sprint end. 
  • The Active Sprint Insights are the best IMO - we can manage to the % completed thru out the sprint to monitor progress toward goal continuously. Unless captured prior to starting the new sprint, this Insight does not seem to be available. It also reflects the net result of decisions the team makes on priority/scope. 

Problem: These 3 reports don't agree and they aren't always available when needed. 

Ideas?

2 answers

0 votes
Barış Baysal July 27, 2022

Hello, 

I think the measurement of the "work scope" increase might be one of the ways to address this issue. The team might add issues and also complete the original committed issues which is great.

However if the team focuses more on teh newly added issues disregarding the original sprint issues, the success rate could be misleading, which brings us to agile principles where messing up with the sprint is not really desired.

I dont know if there is a direct report in Jira which shows the completion variation between the original committed issues and the newly added ones.   

0 votes
Adam January 27, 2022

This is less of a Jira issue and more of an Agile coaching issue. I would recommend going back to basics and looking at Estimation and Planning training and techniques.

Jira is only going to spit out the data you put in.

This is good starting point for your Scrum Master and Team Members

https://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

Suggest an answer