Combine quick filters as an OR vs AND statement?

scott_gray April 11, 2022

Hi Folks,

That title is a bit confusing, I know. but we're looking to see if there is a way to setup quickfilters so they are treated as OR statements instead of AND. eg- if I select quickfilters that are 'assignee was Person X' and another that is 'assignee was Person Y', we'd like to see cards that were assigned to EITHER Person X OR Person Y instead of only cards that were assigned to BOTH resources. Is this possible somehow?

~Scott

5 answers

4 votes
Filipi Lima
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 16, 2022

FYI, there's an open feature request for this. It had an odd name and it was hard to find to I updated the name and description a bit.

Ability to configure quick filters to function as OR searches instead of AND searches - JSWSERVER-20741 

2 votes
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2022

Hi @scott_gray and welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, this is not possible natively.  The best alternatives would be either creating a filter or dashboard.

Faruk USLU January 9, 2023

Hi @Mark Segall ,

Let's say we have several quick filters in a board, and we want to be able to click 2 filters at the same time but see and "OR" functionality instead of "AND" only.

* One solution would be to select an "OR" option when the quick filter is being created
* Another solution would be to put an option on the board to combine "quick filters" by "OR" statement

Do you think it would be  a big hassle to implement such a thing?

Like # people like this
1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2022

The quick filters work as an AND because they're only useful for drilling down if they work together.

Your need is easy to meet though - create a quick filter with JQL that says "assignee was Person X or assignee was Person Y"

David Merrill October 8, 2022

90% of the time it is better to have quick filters be OR instead of AND.

Almost every quick filter I have seen within the same board was to select one value of a field (usually assignee).  On my team's kanban board we have ten team members, each of which have a quick filter.  Then we have a quick filters for "unassigned", "Only My Issues" (which is redundant because you can just select your own filter), and "Recently Updated".

Of all of those, only "Recently Updated" should be AND'ed.  All the rest should be OR'ed.

IMO each quick filter should have an operator field to say whether it should be AND or OR.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 8, 2022

No, it's not.  The quick filters are for drilling down into a board, de-cluttering it of the items you are not interested in.

99% of the time, you would want to do that with an AND, not an OR.

I'm with you on that flag for AND/OR toggling, defaulted to AND of course, to support what the filters are for.  It would be an extra function that would expand the usefulness of quick filters into areas other than drilling down.

Faruk USLU January 5, 2023

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  I do not understand how you can know someone else's daily work. 

As you community leader you should  improve your collaborative skills.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2023

Because I've been working with loads of people who use this type of software for over two decades.

Ru Ch February 15, 2023

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- even if I take your arguments as valid for every "agile" team setup. (and there can be many you cant know all... stop thinking you know best)

For example the number one usecase in almost every team uses is to quickly filter by User for a daily standup for example. Always having to select user 1 then deselect user 1 and select user 2 it just takes a lot of time and the UI is not particularly fast to react this is just bad design even with an AND relationship. 

I would agree with:

@David Merrill that each quickfilter on its own should decide with a "TOGGLE" if it is a AND or an OR concatenated filter. Additionally I would even go as far as to say that each filter should even get a "STANDALONE" option so that if you select it it deselects all other filters...

Think about what your community wants and not what makes sense to you... that is one of the reasons why Atlassian is loosing its user bases / not getting new smaller companies onboarded.

Leaving only the big companies who cant go away from it at least for now....

Innovation should be done: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-20741

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 15, 2023

And/Or won't solve that problem, so I'm not sure why you mention it here.

I am thinking about what my community wants, did you read any of the earlier conversations?

Daniel de Vries April 4, 2024

You don't speak for me, @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-. I would be very much helped by such a feature. More so because Assignees and Labels are currently configured as OR filters by default, and Components vice versa, while this isn't made abundantly clear. 

As a community leader, it concerns me that you seem unaware of your blind spots. "Because I've been working with loads of people who use this type of software for over two decades." That's a nice convenience sample to ruminate on, but is it really representative of the global Jira user base?

What would you think if a community member came to you with that kind of rhetoric? I sincerely hope you'd chortle, too.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Aaron McMillin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 10, 2023

Sounds like you actually want a multi-select combo box filter :)

0 votes
Peter Miss October 6, 2023

Actually there is a way to obtain the result you want, but it's unpractical if you have many choices (people). That is to write the filters to EXCLUDE instead of include for example a person.

So instead of a "John: Assignee = John" filter create a "Hide John: Assignee != John" filter.
This way you HIDE the people you don't want to see and by hiding or not hiding you can combine any people you like. 

Dawid Kabacinski
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 29, 2024

that is the way of thinking!

it works for me. 
My need is to show other team members who is working with whom. We have lots of tasks where two people are working in parallel, so it is helpful to see all current tasks at once. 

And I can not understand how someone can be the opinion "I know everything"!?!?

Peter Miss April 4, 2024

Nice I could help. I’m new here and a bit confused that even this ”proffesional” forum seem to be more about fighting than trying to help…

Suggest an answer