Column grouping in a kanban board

Pawel Bojkowski September 29, 2016

Why there is no column grouping in a kanban board like this:

Capture.JPG

Different statuses isn't a solution because you can't move cards between it in on column.

2 answers

0 votes
Philipp Zsifkovits February 9, 2017

I have to disagree with Nic. It's not over-complicated. kanban is a pull process. So there is no extra step of "pushing it from analysis to development". Rather the developer pulls the task as soon as he is ready to start.

There is also a clear difference between "analysis - done" and "development - doing", because it might depend on the results of the analysis if the task even gets to development. Also keep in mind that there might be several people with separate responsibilities involved. An analyst, a developer and a manager who decides based upon the results provided by the analyst if the task is to be taken up by development.

For me there is not enough information to say if the process is broken or not, but it could certainly work out.

As to why this feature does not exist, I do not have an answer, but I think it would be valuable to have it.

Holger Winkelmann August 9, 2018

ACK, kanban is about pull. mean the users need to know when to pull a task towards the next step. without  Doing/Done Column per Step one of the major properties of Kanban can't be used.

Like Dmitriy Gatsura likes this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2016

Because that's over-complicated. 

As a user, I want to know where my issue is in the process.  "it's in analysis" is a good answer.  "it's in analysis doing" or "analysis done" is a bad answer when they're part of "analysis".  Which is it, and why are they different?

As a developer, what's the difference between "analysis - done" and "development - doing"?  We've analysed it, so it's in the backlog.  Why is there an extra step to push from analysis to dev?  (And that's a question that applies across your whole diagram)

I'm afraid your picture represents a broken process.  It's one that looks sort of ok from a human point of view, but in realistic terms, it's wrong and doesn't really work out.

Suggest an answer