Cloud to Cloud Migration Overview

Mathew Lederman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2024

We're migrating our enterprise instance (5000 JSW, 4000 Confluence, 1200 JSM) from Datacenter to Cloud now and it's a mess. Less functionality in Cloud, plug-ins that partially migrate, etc. it's just not a clean migration. But we're working through and we'll be done soon.

The next step is to start consolidating instances.  We have at least 9 different instances ranging from 25 users to 1000 users. I'm looking for an overview of Cloud to Cloud migrations and any information would be helpful. Ignoring plug-ins because I understand each plug-in can bring an entirely separate complexity to the migration, but is Cloud - Cloud relatively simple/painless assuming you've verified project keys, custom fields, etc.? Or is it just as much of a mess as DC --> Cloud?

What timeline should we be estimating for Cloud > Cloud (again ignoring plug-ins) assuming we have no key overlaps? Is it a 2 week project? Or 3 months?

How does licensing work? If we're using 4950 of our JSW licenses and we migrate an instance with 65 users, do we gain their licenses and users? Or do we have to bump up to the next tier?

Is any/all of this documented somewhere? I haven't found very detailed migration documentation, just https://support.atlassian.com/migration/docs/perform-a-cloud-to-cloud-migration-for-jira/ which makes it look like it should take a few hours.

1 answer

2 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2024

Hello @Mathew Lederman 

Have you reviewed the additional documents that are linked in the one you found? 

Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 1.54.31 PM.png

I have not actually done a Cloud to Cloud migration myself, but I've have been advised in the past 6-12 months that the process is less full-featured than the self-hosted to cloud migration. 

I advise you to look closely at what does and doesn't migrate, and do as much testing of the migrations as you can. Since you are on the Premium subscription you'll have access to create a Sandbox from your production environment, to which you can copy your production data. Unfortunately third party app data does not copy to the sandbox, but such an environment would at least start giving you an idea about the impact of migrating into an existing cloud environment that already has data and configurations.

Mathew Lederman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2024

@Trudy Claspill appreciate the information. We definitely will create test instances and test the migration, I'm mainly trying to understand if it's a difficult process like the on-prem to Cloud is or if it's more straight-forward since it's like-for-like? For a 50-user instance should we plan for 3 months or 6 months? How about 200-user? I'm looking to plan 2025-2027 but without any idea of what to expect from the Cloud-to-Cloud migration I'm at a loss. 

I'm disappointed to hear that the like-for-like is less full-featured than the self-hosted to Cloud considering I would find the latter lacking in MANY features that seem very important.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events