Cloning issue ignoring required fields

Deleted user December 30, 2019

I can create an issue without filling custom required field (e.g. "Field 1") using "Clone" button on old issue that have been created earlier than the "Field 1" was added.

Jira does not indicate that the are any errors caused by a required field.

Is it OK? How do I able to fill all required fields while cloning an old issue, not to just edit the new created issue?

We have JIRA v7.9.0

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 31, 2019

Hi Julia,

One thing to do might be to review all of the issues that have already been created and are missing the required field. Then you can get those all updated and the cloned issue will always have the required information.  :-)

Deleted user January 12, 2020

Hi,

This way still doesn't look easy, but thanks =)

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 31, 2019

Yes, that is correct - a clone is an exact copy of the current issue (barring the unique id).  It takes the issue as it currently is.

Deleted user January 12, 2020

Thank you =)

jing_guo April 22, 2020

Hi Julia,

have you resolved the clone issue with the required fields checking?

would you like to share it? I am facing the same issue

Thanks.

Jing

Deleted user April 23, 2020

Hi Jing,

Unfortunately I haven't. We clone issue and then fill in the required fields.

1 vote
Jarrod Moura October 8, 2020

Hi guys, 

The way I sorted this out was put a screen on the transition in the workflow.  The field configuration will then ensure that these naughty people capture these required fields. :) 

I didn't want to use an external plugin to do this and just wanted to use core Jira functionality.

Whitni Smith April 19, 2024

adding to this, using screens and workflow validators are the best route to ensure necessary fields get filled out, even if they aren't required globally but project wise. 

I used a workflow transition with a screen and workflow validators that triggered an automation rule to clone (or create new) ticket when it transitioned. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events