Cloning Feature_Epics_Stories

Senthil V April 15, 2024

Hello @Trudy Claspill and @Inactive Stephen ,

I tried to create automation rule to copy the Feature_Epic_Story hierarchy using this rule shared in this post ( https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Cloning-Epics-including-stories-Jira-Automation/qaq-p/1969797), 

When cloning the Features it creates all the epics under them but my initial rule set for cloning stories under each epics is failing. Not sure if I'm missing something.

Appreciate any support on this issue.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2024

@Senthil V 

Please show us the rules that you have created.

Are you trying to use a single rule to clone a Feature, its child Epics, and the Epic's child issues?

Senthil V April 15, 2024

Hello @Trudy Claspill

I just realized the rules will work only when we manual clone each issue type. I tried to put two rules and also a single rule. Both of the results are same. It clones the features and its Epic correctly. But the stories under those Epics are not created. 

I am not sure if there is way to achieve them in single rule. Attached are the rules.

Clone Epic_Stories.JPGClone Feature_ Epics_Stories.JPGSingle Rule.JPG

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2024

You may have two problems affecting the successful triggering and execution of these rules.

On the Rule Details page do you have this box checked?

Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 1.01.48 PM.png

The clone of the Epic issue may be happening during execution of the rule, if the rule was initially triggered by cloning a Feature. In that case, the above box needs to be checked, otherwise the rule cannot be triggered again based on the rule have executed the steps to Clone Epics.

The second potential problem I see is a timing issue. In your rule after the Clone the Epic you are deleting the link between the original and new Epics. That could interfere with triggering the rule to clone the child issues of the cloned Epic.

Like Senthil V likes this
Senthil V April 15, 2024

I tried checking the box as mentioned above on my Clone Epic_Stories rule and also removed the condition of deleting the link between original and new Epics in my another rule which clones Feature_Epics. I am still not getting the stories created for those epics. Only the epics are cloned.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2024

Which of the three rules shown above do you have enabled?

Please show us the Audit Log details for the last execution of each rule that you have enabled.

What are you doing to trigger the automation?

Senthil V April 15, 2024

I have enabled these two rules - Feature_Epics_Clone and Epic_Stories_Clone as shown below with the box checked for Epic_Stories_Clone. I thought first one will execute when I clone the feature and second one will be triggered based on the checkbox. Attached audit logs.

Feature_Epics_Clone

Feature_Epics_Clone.JPG

Epic_Stories_Clone

Epic_Stories_Clone.JPG

Audit Log_Feature_Epics_Clone Rule

Audit Log_Feature_Epics_Clone Rule.JPG

Audit Log_Epic_Stories_Clone Rule

Audit Log_Epic_Stories_Clone Rule.JPG

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2024

Have you checked the newly created Epic issues (the ones created by the Clone action in the Feature_Epics_Clone rule) to see if they have the "clones" link to the original Epic issues?

The Epic_Stories_Clone rule is being triggered by the cloning of the Feature (creating AC-712) but does not appear to be getting triggered by the cloning of the Epics under original feature AC-627. Since the trigger is the creation of the Cloners link, if the newly created Epics don't have that link then their creation will not trigger the second rule.

Senthil V April 15, 2024

Yes, I checked they newly created Epics (from the Feature_Epics_Clone) and it does not have the "Clones" link. What should I do have the Clones link, I removed the action which I had before to "delete the issues links - is cloned by ". I thought that will retain the links. How do we ensure the "clones" link are there to the original Epics?

Newly created Feature through clone has the link and when I run the Epic_Stories_Clone separately by cloning the epics, then newly created epic has the clone links. See attached screenshots. Problem is when feature clone rule is executed it is not maintaining the link for the Epics.

Feature created through clone rule has links:

Clone Link for Feature.JPG

Epic created through cloning Epic manually also has the clone links:

Clone Link for Epic - Only when Epic is cloned.JPG

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2024

You will need to add to your Automation Rule to create the link between the new issue and the one that is being cloned. You can do that within the Clone Issue action by adding the Linked Issue field as a field to edit.

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 10.15.16 AM.png

Senthil V April 16, 2024

That worked. I didn't realize there is a field called Linked Issues and was searching for Copy / Creating a Cloned links options :-).  

Thanks for your support on fixing this automation rule. Appreciate it !!

Like Trudy Claspill likes this
0 votes
Senthil V April 15, 2024

Incorrect window.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events