Cloned issues retaining the status of the original ticket

David Hazeel September 3, 2020

Hi - thank you in advance for any help. 

I am working on a Jira Cloud project where we are transitioning from delivery to enhancements. We have a number of tickets that were initially dropped out of scope. These tickets were closed and had the status 'won't do' added. We're now in a position to pick these tickets back up. For business reasons, rather than re-open these tickets the decision was made to clone them and work on them in a new project using the same workflow. However the 'won't do' status has persisted during the cloning process.

Is there a way to remove/reset the 'won't do' status? I have tried progressing them through the workflow and then bringing them back to 'new', but this doesn't remove the resolution.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2020

Hi @David Hazeel 

I've tried cloning issues in both Classic and Next-Gen projects and it clones the issue in the first status in the workflow - as opposed to the status it was in.

Is this the status or the resolution which isn't clearing for you? And is it Classic or Next-Gen?

Resolution in the new issue view appears next to the status, with a green tick next to it. Resolution does not clear during the clone when I tested this.

Ste

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_  - thank you for replying. I should have said, it's a classic project. The status in the cloned issue does clone the first status in the workflow, which is absolutely fine. It is the resolution which isn't clearing when cloning - so yes, it's appearing next to the status with the green tick in the cloned issues.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2020

Hi @David Hazeel 

There is a known bug for this - see: JRACLOUD-75040.

-----------------

Classic Projects:

The post-function work-around mentioned in this issue will work for Classic Projects.

To implement this:

1. As a Jira Admin, go to Jira Settings > Issues > Workflows
  2. Locate the required workflow, and press Edit. Move to diagram view.
  3. Select the "create" transition (arrow from the circle to the first status)
  4. From the pop-up, select "Post Functions"
  5. Press "Add Post Function" - and select the function "Update Issue Field", then press Add
  6. Choose the field "Resolution", and the value "None" - then press Add
  7. Next, on the right-hand side use the arrow buttons to move the clear resolution post function above "Create the Issue originally" 
  8. Press Publish to activate the updated workflow

^ This will clear the resolution at creation.

-----------------

If you are using a Next-Gen project - or a Classic Project with a Simplified Workflow - the above workaround is not an option.

Instead, you can achieve the same result using a loop transition automation rule.

-----------------

Loop Automation:

Looping back to the same status will remove the resolution.

What this means is the transition will be from the first status, back to the same status. It's cleanest to do this loop transition via Automation.

For the Automation Rule:

1. As a Project Admin, go to Project Settings > Automation in Classic Projects - for Next-Gen, go to Project Settings > Apps > Project Automation
  2. Press the blue "Create Rule" button
  3. For the Trigger, use Issue Created
  4. Add a Condition, Related Issues Condition - set Related Issues as "Linked Issues", Link Types as "clones" and Condition as "are present"
  5. Add an Action, Transition Issue - set the Destination Status as either the same status or "Same status (loop)"
  6. Give the rule a name and publish it

A few notes on the above rule:

• The rule fires just after creation - so refresh your page to see the resolution disappear
  • You can modify the condition if you prefer to check the Summary for "CLONE -" or similar
  • You can set this as a Global Rule as a Jira Admin via Jira Settings > System > Automation Rules. Just remember there are execution limits on global rules per month - whilst project executions are virtually unlimited.

-------------

The second option does require some setup to automate what might be a temporary problem as it's a bug - but it's a workaround which works today for those projects which cannot utilise a "complex" workflow.

Ste

Like # people like this

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ - thank you. I'm glad it is recognised as a bug and not just me. The post-function solution has worked for me. Fortunately we don't have a huge number of affected tickets! I've accepted your answer. Hopefully anyone else with the problem will also find your solutions.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 3, 2020

Awesome - glad it was useful :)

Ste

Mateusz Slifirczyk June 15, 2022

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 

Hi,

I followed the steps you have provided, but when I clone an epic with sub-tasks, the status of all still gets changed to the default and is not transferred from the original epic. Any ideas what could cause this? The issues are not linked, it is literally just a clone.

0 votes
Pooja Sree August 30, 2023

Thankyou @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 
I tried adding the automation to the project, but the status is still changed to "Unassigned" (the first status in the workflow, after cloning. 
Please let me know if there are any additional steps or if i am missing something. 
Thanks again!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events