Clone stories from one instance to another

Joseph Saunders May 4, 2021

Hi, I currently work with two main instances of Jira, 'clients' and 'mine'. I would like to 'clone' stories from the clients Jira to 'my' Jira. I've looked at the REST API but I'm not sure if this will work. I'm not very familiar with 'back-end' jira, although I've been using it for project development life-cycles for several years.

I have tried exporting and importing (as CSV) but the import messes around with the formatting of the stories and it means that if the story description or acceptance criteria is changed I have to manually update the other instance of Jira.

Is API\cloning possible or is it something that will need to stay as a manual task for now?

Thank you,

1 answer

0 votes
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 5, 2021

Welcome to the community, @Joseph Saunders.

With our Jira cloud app Deep Clone for Jira you can bulk clone issues between two or more Jira instances. Once the instances are connected, cloning is pretty simple and can be done by every Jira user who has access to Deep Clone.

If you want to learn more about it, you can have a look at our documentation or get in touch with our support. 

Joseph Saunders May 5, 2021

Thanks Marlene, the problem I see with this is the two instances of Jira are completely seperate. One is hosted on my work server and the other on the clients, they are both completely seperate so I would be unable to use the Deep Clone interface.

Thank you

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 5, 2021

Are you working with Jira server or Jira cloud?

Deep Clone is only available for Jira cloud. But if you work with Jira cloud it is possible to connect any cloud instances, as long as both instances have Deep Clone installed.

I assumed that you are working with Jira cloud (because of the the tags of this post "cloud", "jira-software-cloud"). But when you say that the instances are hosted on your work server/the clients server it seems that you are using Jira server.

Like Joseph Saunders likes this
Joseph Saunders May 5, 2021

Thanks Marlene, Yes I'm using Jira cloud, I was using old fashioned terminology just to highlight they were seperate. I didn't know though that Deep Clone could work across instances. I'll look into it and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,

Joseph

Suggest an answer